IGNORED

The Pines Again

Another trip today with ENSP.

DSCN1935%20-%20Copy_zpsnb35k8pv.jpg

Eastern Mud Turtle - first for me.  Field guides indicate they are found in all NJ Counties except for Warren and Sussex.

DSCN1942%20-%20Copy_zpsncyldd1c.jpg

Northern Fence Lizard.  

IMAG0501_zpsnxsov2gw.jpg

Pine Snake.  This  species might be my new favorite based on size and coloration/pattern.  Spectacular.

As we arrived back at the office the turtle biologist was on the phone with a person requesting a response to remove a copperhead from a building.  Another person following direction.  A win-win for the snakes and the humans.

DSCN1945_zpsaljbamas.jpg

And we looked a little further and found another beauty.

DSCN1946_zpslnkxtqsk.jpg

HMMMM.  Maybe NC's are still my favorite ........... 

Edited by LittleM

What area of the pines was this in?          

Someone asked me, in my previous Pines post, which County I was in. 

I cannot answer either question.  I was blind folded, spun around five times, and thrown in a trunk.  When I was let out, I was on a sandy road surrounded by pitch pines and some low-bush blueberry.  After driving down the same all day, the process referenced above was repeated till I got home. 

People are dead serious about their spots and keeping them secret.......................

I cannot answer either question.  I was blind folded, spun around five times, and thrown in a trunk.  When I was let out, I was on a sandy road surrounded by pitch pines and some low-bush blueberry.  After driving down the same all day, the process referenced above was repeated till I got home. 

People are dead serious about their spots and keeping them secret.......................

You got off easy.  I went to a secret snake spot with a guy once and my eye still twitches from the experience.   :shock:  

Someone asked me, in my previous Pines post, which County I was in.

I cannot answer either question. I was blind folded, spun around five times, and thrown in a trunk. When I was let out, I was on a sandy road surrounded by pitch pines and some low-bush blueberry. After driving down the same all day, the process referenced above was repeated till I got home.

I asked, but I truly understand about secret spots. I've been burned too. We've met before. I the gentleman you gave your reloading supplies to. More log photos please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember, NJSOG.  I might get to the log camera this weekend. 

Everyone is tight lipped about snake spots and for good reason.

Lots of good reasons:  sensitivity to rare species, habitat destruction due to too many people looking thru the same spots, illegal collecting, and of course my favorite, those remaining ignorant inbreeds whom still think snakes are evil and kill them for no good reason. 

Last week I had to stop a neighbor from killing a black snake. I still don't think he believes me when I told him it was one of the best snakes to have around. They eat all of the small vermin and occasionally and small bird. I picked it up and moved it to a rock wall. Yeah some people are ignorant about snakes and other wild life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk