IGNORED

Phenix Rods

nmc02

2 minutes ago, bowguide said:

For that Kind of Money I would go with Black Hole....Phenix is the chinese version. Just my .02. 

Clearly you have some tuna experience (some good pics you previously posted). AND, everyone has an opinion (Ford V. Dodge V. Chevy. I would love to hear yours, afterall isn't that what these forums are all about!!!

I am not a fan of the black hole rods. Their jigging rods are not to my liking....way too stiff, even in the 250 gram version (owned several and sold all). Much prefer the flex of the Saltywater Tackle jigging rods. I bought the Phenix rods because I got them for a steal and if I don't like them, I could sell for what I paid in a minute. Their handles are unique and very nice in the hand. I own a custom popping rod by Zacks Custom Rods (www.zackscustomrods.com). He uses thrasher blanks. He makes very good rods for the money. Check them out.

What jigging rods do you like best for tuna (regardless of price)? I have fished a ton and think the Saltywater Tackle OBX 400 is best out there for bigger bluefin.

What popping rod do you like best for tuna (regardless of price)? Once again, was not a fan of the Black Hole Cape Cod Special. I have a Saltywater Tackle Racepoint 250 that is awesome.

My only complaint about the Saltywater Tackle rods is that they are expensive, but still cheaper than Carpenter or Ripple Fisher rods.

I am a Shimano guy through and through, as far as reels are concerned. I love the twin powers and stellas for spinning. However, a top notch captain recently told me the Daiwa Saltiga is the best there is. As far as jigging, like the Shimano ocea.

When using a lighter bait outfit....absolutely LOVE the Talica 25 (I put a 50 handle on it after some light modification) and it is a sweet setup.

As far as bait reel for bigger tuna (I know it sounds too light)......the Alutecnos Gorilla 30W 2S is the best I have ever used. None smoother.

I do not sway away from the JB hollow on my spinning reels, as none casts better.

As for conventional, I am a huge Cortland C16 fan.

Love to hear your experiences and opinion on the above. 

31 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Clearly you have some tuna experience (some good pics you previously posted). AND, everyone has an opinion (Ford V. Dodge V. Chevy. I would love to hear yours, afterall isn't that what these forums are all about!!!

I am not a fan of the black hole rods. Their jigging rods are not to my liking....way too stiff, even in the 250 gram version (owned several and sold all). Much prefer the flex of the Saltywater Tackle jigging rods. I bought the Phenix rods because I got them for a steal and if I don't like them, I could sell for what I paid in a minute. Their handles are unique and very nice in the hand. I own a custom popping rod by Zacks Custom Rods (www.zackscustomrods.com). He uses thrasher blanks. He makes very good rods for the money. Check them out.

What jigging rods do you like best for tuna (regardless of price)? I have fished a ton and think the Saltywater Tackle OBX 400 is best out there for bigger bluefin.

What popping rod do you like best for tuna (regardless of price)? Once again, was not a fan of the Black Hole Cape Cod Special. I have a Saltywater Tackle Racepoint 250 that is awesome.

My only complaint about the Saltywater Tackle rods is that they are expensive, but still cheaper than Carpenter or Ripple Fisher rods.

I am a Shimano guy through and through, as far as reels are concerned. I love the twin powers and stellas for spinning. However, a top notch captain recently told me the Daiwa Saltiga is the best there is. As far as jigging, like the Shimano ocea.

When using a lighter bait outfit....absolutely LOVE the Talica 25 (I put a 50 handle on it after some light modification) and it is a sweet setup.

As far as bait reel for bigger tuna (I know it sounds too light)......the Alutecnos Gorilla 30W 2S is the best I have ever used. None smoother.

I do not sway away from the JB hollow on my spinning reels, as none casts better.

As for conventional, I am a huge Cortland C16 fan.

Love to hear your experiences and opinion on the above. 

IMO Saltywater rods are not worth the money( especially with no warranty )My Favorite is the Three Kings ( Jigging Master....and again...pricey )The New Shimano stuff ( except the Twin Power) is garbage IMO . My 08 SW Stellas are still the best Saltwater spinning reel ever made ( and this can be backed u p by Alan Hawk ) I was one of the first to test the '13 30K Stella in PEI and it failed miserably IMO....No where near the drag capacity advertised. At the end of the battle I had completely worn the palm out of my Pelagic glove, bent the spindle and all we could get out of the reel was a whopping 14# of drag. Sent to shimano got a new one and traded it to my captain friend in PEI for my Avet TRX 50w back. When my 08 Stellas die I will be fishing Daiwa. Alutecnos is a nice reel ( I fished for Bluefin back in the day,but no where near enough drag for my type of fishing )The raptor series from AVET is second to none in my opinion. I have caught fish over 200#s on the SX version . The TRX series from AVET is untouchable...My 50 Wides have caught well over 100 giants and Ive never had them serviced. I have a TRX 30 W( unfortunately not in production any more that I caught an estimated 900# giant on )As far as line we have had too many issues with JB and I switched to FINS for my heavy stuff ( 65# and up ...The windtamer is the best for casting by far.....almost never a wind knot ). I have never had a break....Lighter inshore fishing I fish Berkley X9

Forgot to add about Salty Water...I fish the same boat in OBX and I had thye trip after theirs...The captain pointed out a garbage can full of busted rods and said "you cant believe the amount of money in that garbage can"

Carpenter makes a good rod ( I fished with him on the EXCEL out of San Diego years ago...Great guy ) but not worth the money IMO

Again just my .02   Been doing this for a long time now

Edited by bowguide

I'm also a big fan of thrasher rod. I build a good amount of jasons blanks. My go to tuna jig rod is a synit razor like the rodgeeks x comp 806 that's my poppin rod for tuna. I use the thrasher spj 80-150 On wrecks for sea bass and ling.the black hole surf rod are very high end great for out casting your neighbor on the beach. I have gotten some nice tog on the thrasher 100-200 spj blank My jig rod for tog, and rodgeeks x comp 733 for a crab and 8oz.i like The United composite us70m for gulp and fluke is a fine rod for feeling bottom contours. I use the thrasher 7808 for back bouncing on no drift. The rod geeks 805 is my cod and pollack rod. The pheonix black diamond hybrid 700mh I built for a friend who tog fishes in Virginia, every year he's gets a butt load of xx tog on it. I have got a few nice nj tog on it. and it s equally nice as my rodgeeks and United composites of equal size and weigh ratings.im sure you will like and have no problems with the Phoenix rods.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

If money is no object the Jigging Master reels are incredible but ridiculousy priced and are hard to get repaired when needed....The smoothness and power is incredible but for the money AVET isnt too far off and have great customer service

10 minutes ago, bowguide said:

IMO Saltywater rods are not worth the money( especially with no warranty )My Favorite is the Three Kings ( Jigging Master....and again...pricey )The New Shimano stuff ( except the Twin Power) is garbage IMO . My 08 SW Stellas are still the best Saltwater spinning reel ever made ( and this can be backed u p by Alan Hawk ) I was one of the first to test the '13 30K Stella in PEI and it failed miserably IMO....No where near the drag capacity advertised. At the end of the battle I had completely worn the palm out of my Pelagic glove, bent the spindle and all we could get out of the reel was a whopping 14# of drag. Sent to shimano got a new one and traded it to my captain friend in PEI for my Avet TRX 50w back. When my 08 Stellas die I will be fishing Daiwa. Alutecnos is a nice reel ( I fished for Bluefin back in the day,but no where near enough drag for my type of fishing )The raptor series from AVET is second to none in my opinion. I have caught fish over 200#s on the SX version . The TRX series from AVET is untouchable...My 50 Wides have caught well over 100 giants and Ive never had them serviced. I have a TRX 30 W( unfortunately not in production any more that I caught an estimated 900# giant on )As far as line we have had too many issues with JB and I switched to FINS for my heavy stuff ( 65# and up ...The windtamer is the best for casting by far.....almost never a wind knot ). I have never had a break....Lighter inshore fishing I fish Berkley X9

Forgot to add about Salty Water...I fish the same boat in OBX and I had thye trip after theirs...The captain pointed out a garbage can full of busted rods and said "you cant believe the amount of money in that garbage can"

Carpenter makes a good rod ( I fished with him on the EXCEL out of San Diego years ago...Great guy ) but not worth the money IMO

Again just my .02   Been doing this for a long time now

I definitely agree about the Saltywater warranty...not good at all. 

That 14 lb of drag definitely tells me there was a problem w that particular Stella reel. Mine are set for 26 lb when using 100 lb leader and are checked. Never an issue.

Which boat in OBX...Tuna Duck?? 

Who do use in PEI...I have never fished there. 

You using wind ons or splicing?

I use BHT wind ons....convenient & never had a connection failure.

As Codaboy stated, look at the Thrasher rods. Awesome 👌 

Not gonna reveal the boat out of respect for the Capt and Sammy ( hes a hell of a fisherman )

The new stellas are all plastic inside ,want nothing to do with that. My Stellas are pretty much always buttoned down

Tight Line Tours in PEI...all family run and IMO the best up there 

Wind ons for everything but Giant fishing, and yes BHP is the best....( have had a few unravel in Panama but they take one helluva beating) Also no one packs more line on a reel then Basil......He fills all my tuna reels

51 minutes ago, bowguide said:

Not gonna reveal the boat out of respect for the Capt and Sammy ( hes a hell of a fisherman )

The new stellas are all plastic inside ,want nothing to do with that. My Stellas are pretty much always buttoned down

Tight Line Tours in PEI...all family run and IMO the best up there 

Wind ons for everything but Giant fishing, and yes BHP is the best....( have had a few unravel in Panama but they take one helluva beating) Also no one packs more line on a reel then Basil......He fills all my tuna reels

I figured you used Tight Line tours (as does Basil). PM recommendations for OBX please then

I have a phenix mirage 8' UL spinning .  I honestly think the bass pro shops microlite float and spin is a better rod for $59.99. But you guys are talking tuna so not even sure if this even matters. The rod is fine if 10-14" trout are your target. But the backbone they speak of in their add definitely is not there for fighting larger fish at all.  It is a fun rod for most jersey creeks where you might encounter a breeder occasionally but no way in NY on a large wild brown. The blank would have been better for nymphing not spin fishing just my thoughts on mine.

7 hours ago, deerkiller18 said:

Any input on the centaur line of rods for jigging tuna? I want to go from conventional to spinning this year. Looking at a daiwa certate and one of the centaur rods

They are very reasonably priced and are decent rods. I have used a few and caught small tuna on them (100 lb). They will do the trick in NJ. Depending on price range there are a ton of options and most come down to preference...as long as made from good components. Look at Zacks Custom rods. He makes a killer spinning jig rod.

http://www.centauranglerschoice.com/