IGNORED

Decoying black ducks

9CAS1

On 12/23/2021 at 7:08 PM, 9CAS1 said:

What’s your favorite spread when targeting black ducks in coastal? Will they come in to geese decoys and/or spinning wings or do you run a strictly black duck spread?

Where I hunt it’s mainly blacks, brant and buffleheads. I have a hard time getting the black ducks to commit.

You and everyone else trying to decoy black ducks

Have had the best luck in SJ coastal marshes in a long time. Been putting the smack down on the Black ducks, running with 7 decoys. I put four to my right, a pair off in the middle, and usually a single far left. No mojo, just a jerk rig on the single. Hunting out of a sneakbox so can only bring a few, but I've noticed that if you go with more than 8 its usually tough. They're anti-social birds and want to be in small groups. 

5 minutes ago, Lowtide said:

You’ve been given some good advice. Don’t mix decoys. Just blacks. For whatever reason they don’t come in to mallards. Mallards will dump right into blacks. Only thing I can add is leave your call at home. They are not mallards 

This is also great advice. Black ducks don’t like calling 

2 hours ago, Bubblehead said:

This is also great advice. Black ducks don’t like calling 

Agree, I’m inland and have found when they bypass your set while still dark one hail call and shut up. In rivers blacks seem to flock into the set or just keep going. Continuing to call makes sure they just keep going

AWM