IGNORED

August Log Crossing Cam and Some Others

The river geek in my keeps wondering why that log has never launched in a flood event.  It has clearly stretched across that what seems low gradient stream for a long, long time.

I been crossing that log myself since I was around 10 or 12 and I am now 47.  While the Pequest floods frequently, it's in an area where the water has room to spread out more like a slow-moving lake than a confined torrent.

I have had pics of nearly every mammal that I could have (barring mice, voles, bats, etc.) except gray fox, deer (not gonna happen), and mountain lion, though I did see lion tracks in mud near by.  Not sure why it didn't use the log.  Prolly just jumped over the river, is my guess.

That explains it.  I thought perhaps the Wallkill River somewhere.  The middle Pequest is very low gradient and the fact that the river was channelized as were the tribs to rid the area of mosquitos and to grow sod has allowed lots of the middle river to spread into its floodplain without rising very high unlike most rivers in the area.