IGNORED

2014-2015 NJ Bear Regulation Question

Haskell_Hunter

Is it illegal to hunt bear over bait from a ground blind within 300' of the bait?

The regulations mention "structure" and I wasn't sure if that included ground blinds. And would a neatly arranged area of blow downs and cover be considered a structure? Not natural blow downs, but a man-made blind of natural materials.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

The rule says anything man made including a pop-up or gathering sticks to build a ground blind is considered "constructed" and therefor you cannot hunt over bait within 300'.  Stand on the ground or sit on a rock and you're fine, but not if you built it or carried it in unless more than 300'.  

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Interesting that you can hunt most anything else from a blind/stand over bait but not bears. Any insight as to why that is?

Just that the Division and the Council knew any bear hunt would be highly controversial at first and they wanted to get something by through the least path of resistance.  I guess they figured this was it although during 6 Day so many hunters have bait out that might not even have a bear tag that you need to be careful hunting out of any stand for bear.  Especially on public lands.  It's easier on private where we can bait between 2 hunters and well over 100 yards away from either hunter with both seeing them coming from opposite directions if they do come in and know there won't be a bunch of piles left by others like can happen on some public lands.  

This is one change we might see recommended for next year's hunt ('15) to make consistent with deer baiting during the same season.  I don't see a bow season coming soon, I'm afraid.  

Just that the Division and the Council knew any bear hunt would be highly controversial at first and they wanted to get something by through the least path of resistance.  I guess they figured this was it although during 6 Day so many hunters have bait out that might not even have a bear tag that you need to be careful hunting out of any stand for bear.  Especially on public lands.  It's easier on private where we can bait between 2 hunters and well over 100 yards away from either hunter with both seeing them coming from opposite directions if they do come in and know there won't be a bunch of piles left by others like can happen on some public lands.  

This is one change we might see recommended for next year's hunt ('15) to make consistent with deer baiting during the same season.  I don't see a bow season coming soon, I'm afraid.  

I agree with you on both points.  It would make a ton of sense for them to change the bear baiting rule, especially since you can bait for them if you sit on the ground.  As much as I would love a bow season for bear, I just can't see this happening in NJ any time soon.