IGNORED

The " Making" Of A Turkey Hunting Fanatic.

Fred Flintstone

Since Joining this Site, I see, I am not alone as far as having this " Turkey Addiction"! There were No Turkeys in my area of Orange County,NY in 1974 when, I was 14. I started on Pheasants and have taken a good 750 or so since age 14. I am 60 now.        I started to Turkey Hunt at age 30 and still had never seen one!   I had no Mentor and any progress was painfully slow. I just kept Scouting,Reading, and hunting all available days in Spring+ Fall.  Can't believe, I have 60 Seasons under my Belt! Spring # 31 starts on April 20th here in NJ.                                                           It actually took me until my 5th Spring to connect on my 1st Spring Jake. And,that was a late May hunt in NY. Before that and after for another few years-- there were plenty of clean Misses over the Top.  Being a Pheasant+ Woodcock Hunter and not much into Deer Hunting-- my Brain was trained to get a Lead on Flying Birds. It took a long time to Master keeping my head down while sitting in front of a Tree. There has been a Few Slight woundings also. Spring Hunters today are very Lucky to have Mentors!!                                                 I don't miss too many Gobblers anymore- but the first 7 or 8 Years-- it seemed, I missed over the Top at least once each Spring. Sometimes Twice- the ol " Peeking over the top of the barrel" at the Gobbler . I figure, I have shot at 150 Turkeys and taken 119. All kinds- Gobblers, Jakes + Hens in the Fall. Better to miss clean over the top though.                 So, I have Spring Hunted 30 years in NY. Down here in NJ since 1994 ,and Spring hunted for 20 years in PA. I have only been on Private Lands just 3 times and mostly, I hunt the " Tough Timber Toms" on the Public Lands. Hope everyone enjoyed this Sunday Thread.  I will throw up a picture below.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge.