IGNORED

Trout Opener, 2+ Weeks Away, Who's Ready?!?!

BowhunterNJ

Only a few days away now! Man that rain and snowmelt must have those rivers raging!

Most of the "big 5" NJ trout streams are not too bad as far as flows go.  The Musky was below 700 cfs all day which is high, but nowhere near flood stage which is 3,000 cfs for that river.  Today I helped stock the Musky using my buddy's transfer truck (his pick up with a state tank in the back that holds about 500 trout per filling).  We emptied one entire big, state truck from Mansfield down to the Delaware River, getting into spots that the big trucks can't, including multiple private properties that allow public angling, small WMA spots with no regular access, etc.  We had a crew of 7 guys, so we carried buckets and spread them out.  We put in well over 3,000 on top of the thousands the state stocks off bridges and some other parking lots near the river.  There are 3,000+ fresh stocked fish in the Musky that 99.9% of trout anglers will never know were stocked because they are too lazy to leave their beloved bridge holes.  More for me!  And I release 100% of my trout.   

I hope everyone has a great opening day.  I've steadily fished all winter, including just the other day on Saturday after our willow plantings.  I landed one big holdover rainbow at Point Mountain TCA after missing several because I was too cold and wet to feel my fingers any longer  :)  For me, every day is opening day when  I'm fishing!  

Awesome Brian, that's great you go to those efforts to help distribute the fish! You're living the life up there dude! :)

Tell that to my sore back muscles  :rofl:

I got selected to be the "net man" today.  That means I load our tanks up from the big state truck and unload those fish into spackle buckets for the 6 guys spreading them out along the river.  I'm not the kid I once was  :)

Might have to do a drive by of Saxton Falls on the upper Musky for some picture taking :)

For decades our various Governors fished that location, standing shoulder to shoulder with the other anglers and Division staff who made sure that spot was loaded up with trout.  I think Christie Whitman was our last Governor out on the opener and she came to the Pequest Trout Hatchery in those days to fish with the kids that won and their friends and families from the joint TU and Division's fishing art contest. We often see our Lt. Governor and her kids on the opener and DEP Commissioner Bob Martin and his girlfriend's kids out, but not the past few Governors.