IGNORED

2/16/17 - Public Meeting on Trout Stocking Program February 25

Wow! That's great you have that much on your plate, if you're ever looking to hire an uneducated-almost-over-the-hill shovel-ready helper let me know

That's just NJ.  We have projects in MT, VA, CT, NY, PA, and NM currently as well.  Some ponds, and others river channel restoration.  

NJ will never be Montana and likely can never totally give up trout stocking while still pleasing the angler community.  But the Division at both their own internal urging and from conservation groups like Trout Unlimited are finally making some bold proposals to better protect wild trout in the higher quality waters where wild trout live.  And the native brook trout have the most to gain, but they will better protect wild browns and rainbows where those species are the dominant wild trout already.  

For those that are a fan of our river restoration work, we are currently working on restoring about a half mile of the South Branch Raritan (wild browns are dominant species) in Califon above the ball fields by removing the remnant Weiss Mill dam and restoring 2,300' above that old stone dam that is partially breached.  We are doing the same on the Lamington at the remnant Burnt Mills dam and restoring both up and downstream for about 2,500'.  We also have big and small projects on Capoolong Creek, the North Branch Raritan, more on the Musky (both private and public water), and more rivers and streams that I can't discuss right now for a variety of reasons.  

You are the busy bee.

Are you doing the work now on the SB? Or is it "scheduled" to be done?  That is the area above the bridge in Califon?

As to the Lam, that is on a private stretch closed to the public that is a continuation of your past work correct? Funny you mention the C-long creek,  I fished there so many times I forget,  that stream is badly in need of work and some sections are really effed up after the pipeline work, fishing has deteriorated a lot in the last decade, I always wanted to do work on that stream.  I have two projects in PA with TU coming up that are 2nd and 3rd phase restoration that I may have to operate the excavator to save $$$.

I just meant that it has that same "quality look"  as a steelhead stream. I much prefer to angle for browns and rainbows, neither which is native to NJ as you well know, other readers maybe not. I wouldn't want NJ to become an all brookie state. Your example of what's going on in PA states my stand better than I can write myself.

The point I was trying to make was that, while some of the streams of NJ have improved greatly in water quality, the fisheries program is basically the same as it was when they first started raising and stocking trout from the old Hackettstown hatchery, which I'm pretty sure was about 100 tears ago.

Yep, you're on point.  Brookies = clean water but browns and bows are more tolerant of the temps. Good post. 

Part of what I am saying is getting lost.  They aren't turning off the stocking of trout in the entire north west so rainbows are still being stocked in all of the areas they would have been otherwise and it seems, when capable, the hatchery will stock browns where they are capable of doing so with maybe some limited exceptions.  What I want to know is why, if "stockies" like rainbows and browns can be stocked in places like the Flatbrook, why can't brookies be stocked there and harvested at the anglers choosing...again, I am referring to a time when the hatchery is capable of stocking something other then rainbows.

Thanks Brian for posting that paper.  Was in with the literature my daughter collected but not with me at this time.  Also, appreciate the conversation the other night.  Cheers.

Edited by buckfever1974

While I respect your opinion, I disagree with your  explanation.  Trout are stocked in NJ and other states in order to sell fishing licenses and stamps.  

Thanks for the first part :up:

Trout are stock and Licenses are the means to support that program. not in order to sell Lic. and stamps.  :hmmmer:  think I got that right  ;)

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif