IGNORED

Hudson River bass fishing ( freshwater)

Psehunter

Want to give the Hudson a try this year for small and largemouth bass..Been doing some research on how far up I have to go but can't seem to find a solid answer.i don't want to go further north then I have to but I also don't want to be too far south and be the idiot fishing for bass in saltwater..Anyone on here know ? I'm up in Sussex and would be heading down 84 to get to the river and would like to launch in freshwater since my bass boat sits on a all steel trailer and I really don't want to put it in saltwater.....

When I lived in Ulster county I fished from shore near Marlboro for stripper  and it was brackish water. I had heard of people catching LMB and SMB there  but I never had any luck when pursuing them, just alot of small-medium catfish and some smaller stripper although I saw people  pull out keeper and nice size strippers sorry couldnt give ya more information.

Chasing the deer that eat your bushes since 2012

I've caught lmb/smb down to the Newburgh bridge...never fished south of that.

I asked a local prop repair shop lastnight about the river too and the guy there told me that the water mixes right in the Newburg becon bridge area and that just a mile north of that it's freshwater but if I run up to Kingston that's all freshwater..So I guess I'll start between Newburg and Kingston's someplace...Thanks for the info sappercat!

Edited by Psehunter

That may be a general area, but keep in mind that the line changes with the amount of water flow. A good indicators is lily pads. if they are growing, it is fresh. I have property on a river in south jersey and in the spring, the liners is generally down stream further. I catch all the typical fresh water species, once it gets hotter and dryer, the pads die off and i only catch white perch and catfish. i have to go up stream to find sweetwater.

This is not all to fish(pic) because youll have chestnut flats, rocky islands and shorelines etc. to hit as well, but Im telling you right now...

These are what you want to fish on the hudson. A lot of money has been won off of these especially when fishing is tough. Skip what you can as far back and let the flow (it will be fast a lot of times but they hold there trust me). White, junebug or junebug/char works well but as always, mix it up.. If your senko is flying out of the pipe too fast try a drop shot(if youre skilled enough you can skip these as well). Crankin the rocky shorelines and islands works good too. Catch em up PSE!

Look for current breaks, and "suck holes" where water comes rushing through a culvert, stay back a bit and run a crankbait through it, also you'll notice the water is gonna be brown on the best of days, I've won a few tourneys there fishing green pumpkin creature baits, and green shad cranks. Good luck!

Edited by GhostBear

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

When I lived in Ulster county I fished from shore near Marlboro for stripper  and it was brackish water. I had heard of people catching LMB and SMB there  but I never had any luck when pursuing them, just alot of small-medium catfish and some smaller stripper although I saw people  pull out keeper and nice size strippers sorry couldnt give ya more information.

Ha ha when  i was about 12 ( I am 51 now ) I use to spend a week or two at my grandparents house in the Catskills ( Ulster County ) .....one visit I went with my Uncle to fish for stripers on the Hudson....I saw tons of bass but he only wanted stripers so no success.....but heading in he was pretty adamant about not letting the boat hit the dock , being a scrawny 12 year old , the boat wound up hitting the dock.....he kinda yelled, but hey I always remember that trip.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE