IGNORED

Getting started in NJ trapping (link to vid)

Matty

I've noticed that trapping has gained tons of interest lately and I wanted to give a brief overview of some suggested actions for those looking to get started, specifically here in NJ.

- First I would HIGHLY recommend finding a local trapper and asking them if they would allow you to tag along for a day of checking his or her line. This will give you an idea of whether or not you'd like it, and what is involved. May want to discuss what type of trapping they do too of course. If they mostly water trap and you're intersted in fox/coyote snaring, may not be as much help, but would still give you a gist.

-Next I would suggest signing up for and taking the two day NJ Hunter Ed Trappers Class/Course. They don't hold a lot of them, but at least a few a year. This will be mandatory for you to legally trap in NJ, but it's a good class even just to get a feel.

-Realize that trapping is the most disciplined of all the outdoor sports. You can't stay home because you have the sniffles or the roads are slick. If you have traps out there, you MUST check them. It's not like hunting and fishing in that respect. I can roll over and go back to sleep if a freezing rain is blowing hard against the window if I am planning to bowhunt. But if there are traps out there, they need to be checked. Keep this in mind when thinking about taking up this sport.

- Finally I would suggest picking up a copy of our very own GobblerGetters DVD, "Getting by without footholds". Not only is GG your very own personal trapping moderator, but he's a damn good trapper with a great instructional video. That's why we brought him on board! That and he paid us the most to become a mod. NOT REALLY!:rofl:

I bought this DVD myself without having really known too much about Mike or that production company. (is DT your company Mike?)

Anyway, I was surprised at how much I learned. Takes you through every critter you can trap in NJ and gives some great tips/tricks. Mike and Joe (another member here, Sorry Joe your username escapes me) are some of the best trappers you'll find in this state and they put together a great vid. According to the video too, they are planning on releasing more in depth videos specific to certain types of traps, snares, cages, conibear, etc.

I'll also add that the video is not just for trappers. Interestingly enough, everyone in my family found it intriguing to watch and non-trapping hunters may pick up a thing or two, especially pred hunters. I think it's just the cool factor of being up close and personal with animals like fox, coyotes, raccoons, muskrats, etc that kept the interest of everyone.

Heres a link to the DVD. Great....searching for the link I just noticed they have turkey vids too, might have to pick one of them up now. :popcorn::)

http://www.droptineproductions.net/Purchase_Products.asp

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you should you decide to take up trapping! -Matt

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

MMF, they are a tough critter to kill! Good luck!

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

I wish I knew how to trap or at least get started looks like a lot of fun. Been hunting since I was a kid but never did any trapping nor do I have a friends or family into it. I'm going to check out that video and maybe take the class this year if I can find the time. Tons of yotes up my way I'd love to bag a nice one to get mounted.

thanks for the orders guys.

me and mike spent a lot of time working on it. mike spent the most for sure.

i can't tell you how many edits and uploads to youtube we did. with 3hrs between us, this is how we worked on what clips should stay, what parts of each clip to trim. just a ton of unlisted youtube uploads.

the first dvd would not have happened if it was not for mike.

the next dvd has started. i have been editing clips and sending links to mike. he has spend another trapping season trying to capture it all. we hope to repeat the response we have received.

we put out a dvd with just a little info on everything the new trapper may come across.

an all snaring dvd is what the nj trappers have asked for in the future. this is our project.

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

I bought this DVD myself without having really known too much about Mike or that production company. (is DT your company Mike?)

Drop Tine Productions is owned by Tom Petry. He works for Campbell Cameras

Thanks for the answer.

Also thanks again to you, Joe and your guests for all the effort you put in to make this DVD. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

By the way, I have a pretty funny story about how the scene showing how to dispatch a fox led to my friend having a red fox clamped on to his boot. :rofl::rofl:

Apparently he did not strike the fox correctly. We had a pretty good laugh.:bulb:

GG is a fast as he can be with the mail orders.

He just sent two out this week, out of state. Wisconsin and Missouri.

because of a post on trapperman, we are getting national attention.

thanks for the orders guys.

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

Got the video yesterday and watched it this morning. GREAT video Mike. There is a ton of stuff that I could never have learned on my own.

At the end of the video, Mike asks to pass it along to a young beginner to get him started in trapping. I thought it was perfect because that was one of the reasons that I purchased it. My 17 year old neighbor wants to learn how to do it and I bought it so we both could learn. :thumb_up: