IGNORED

EHD along the wallkill

Any midges will be dead by now since we've had several frosts, so there shouldn't be any newly dead deer.  But the damage in some areas is done and it will take some time for the local herd to rebuild.  Best to give the does a pass for a couple of seasons.  We had to do that in Sparta until this year after those two deep snow years when the coyotes pummeled our local deer herd because they could run on top of the snow while the deer plunged through it and were easily overtaken.  Our numbers are rebounding nicely now.  Sorry some of you are going through this up in parts of Sussex.  

Went to  refuge headquarters today .They said state confirmed today EHD caused by dry summer.  that what we had this year . midges thrive on dry mud flats and bite  the deer. They said 75-100 deer that they found along wallkill river in the refuge valley.Going to be tough hunting there for awhile

• 1 month later...

I've been off of here for a while, so a little late, but I also saw 5 myself dead along a little brook on the corner of 284 and Owens rd.  And heard 40 some were taken out of the stretch north of there behind Wards.  Only saw one deer this year by the dodge dealership and that was a dead 6pt by the creek.

Does EHD carry on to the next year?  

I have the wallkill wildlife refuge in my back yard I used to see deer all the time .I have not seen a deer at all since september  took a walk in there other day not even a track in the snow .I  hope this  EHD DOES NOT SPREAD or we will not be worried about what size bucks to shoot There will be no deer

I've been off of here for a while, so a little late, but I also saw 5 myself dead along a little brook on the corner of 284 and Owens rd.  And heard 40 some were taken out of the stretch north of there behind Wards.  Only saw one deer this year by the dodge dealership and that was a dead 6pt by the creek.

Does EHD carry on to the next year?  

EHD is caused by two different species of midge bites, and its occurrence is very spotty.  Chances are your area will rebound in coming years, but for now, it's probably got your local herd very low.  The first hard frost of the year kills the midges and the EHD cycle until it pops up again somewhere else a year or two or three (or more) later somewhere else in NJ.   

There are a lot of drainage ditches and such in there.  I'm sure the count is a lot higher than what they think, unless they walked along every single water source.  Probably not worth buying a permit for a few years.  Seen a lot more coyote tracks in there this year, everywhere actually, so the rebound could take even longer.

37883367636_9360705c1d_h.jpgIMG_8167ca by shot4u2c, on Flickr