IGNORED

Heading out tonight for some Monster Biscuits

TDaly25

Belated report here but have been jammed up at work.

Headed down to Barnegat Light and got on board the Doris Mae at about 9pm. Weather was a balmy 35+ degrees, which was a very welcome departure from the single digit temps of my first two trips. Had plenty of room up on the Port side toward the bow and staked out my spot with rods and cooler. Inside the cabin to grab my bunk and I was good to go.

Really nice crowd on board and a number of Croation gents from Long Island invited me to join their cocktail party, which was loaded with homemade grappa, wine, sausage and codfish spread - really over the top and awesome stuff! A couple of familiar faces from NJ Fishing soon joined the group and broke out some home made peach liquor to go with all the other goodies. Between tasting all the other goodies and sipping on my own cognac i was pretty quickly feeling no pain.

The wind was really howling and we set off through 6-8s at a slow and steady pace that would take 6 hours to reach our destination. At about 12:30 or 1:00 am it was lights out and we all decided to grab some shut eye in anticipation of our battling the biscuits. The Captain maintained a nice slow pace so as not to beat us up unnecessarily. After all the hooch and with all the warm bodies in the cabin, I started to feel overheated so I donned my slicks and headed outside to the upper deck, where I laid down on a bench and was lulled to sleep with the sound of the gentle rain tapping on my hood. it was amazing!

We got to the fishing grounds and got on anchor at about 6:15-6:30. The action started off somewhat slow with mostly small fish coming up for the first 20-30 minutes. After a quick adjustment on the lines it was quickly game on, with the big boys coming up one after the other. I had my limit of nice fish by about 9:30 am and proceeded to help fill the coolers of some guys that were sick or not having as much luck. I also added 10 big ling during the course of the day and was just totally having a blast. It was awesome fishing without gloves for a change and my new 2 speed Fin-nor was the perfect tool for getting up and down the 200+ feet quickly and smoothly.

The wind and the seas continued to build throughout the morning and I guess it was at about 11:30 ish when the captain sounded three horns to head home and out of the deteriorating conditions. I used the ride home to scale and gut my biscuits and filet my ling. I was also booked on another offshore trip with the Voyager for later that evening and will admit to being a bit relieved that the trip ended up being cancelled due to the rough seas and weather.

All in all the adventure on the Doris Mae was absolutely top notch. A very comfortable boat, terrific group of guys and some monster biscuits to full the freezer. Highly recommended and will def be back very soon!

Excellence, in anything, never occurs by chance

Achieving perfection is impossible. Striving for perfection makes greatness achievable

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like a great time. :up:

contemplating going out for the last trip of the season on Wednesday

HF, if you are still able to find a slot available I would heartily encourage you to get on board. If I wasnt travelling for work I'd be heading out again as well. DO IT - YOU WONT BE SORRY!!!!

Achieving perfection is impossible. Striving for perfection makes greatness achievable

That is so freekin awesome Tom! Never did a biscuit trip yet.

You really ought to, Sam. It makes for a long trip (15-19 hours) and conditions can be challenging but the action is just off the charts! I've done three trips this year, and came home with Limits of big biscuits and lots of big Ling or Porgies every trip. It is way cool having drop and reel fishing for hours at a time and bringing up double headers of 5 and 6 pound fish.

You really ought to' date=' Sam. It makes for a long trip (15-19 hours) and conditions can be challenging but the action is just off the charts! I've done three trips this year, and came home with Limits of big biscuits and lots of big Ling or Porgies every trip. It is way cool having drop and reel fishing for hours at a time and bringing up double headers of 5 and 6 pound fish.

[/quote']

Well, you know how much Scrubby LOVES sea bass....:sleeping:

I've never gotten the opportunity to go out with someone.. Give me a ring bro, would love to do it. I've got the patch just in case. :rock:

Well' date=' you know how much Scrubby LOVES sea bass....:sleeping:

I've never gotten the opportunity to go out with someone.. Give me a ring bro, would love to do it. I've got the patch just in case. :rock:

[/quote']

This season is now history but i will def keep you in mind for other stuff going forward. Will be a welcome change to have one of my buddies say yes to a fishing invite since all I get is "Sorry, My Girlfriend (Lou) or my wife (Scrubby) wont let me go." lol

On another note, I just signed up to fish for Cod and Haddock on the Tuna.Com out in Mass on May 20th. I think they may have one spot available if your interested. Cost is $220. If interested let me know ASAP and I'll reach out to Dave.

I'm pretty sure Tom is either going to turn into a fish' date=' or we'll be watching a movie of him turning into one in the "Life of TDaly25"

[/quote']

Nah Matt, I'm going to combine my two favorite passions and start bowfishing or shooting Pelagics with my .338 Lapua lol

This season is now history but i will def keep you in mind for other stuff going forward. Will be a welcome change to have one of my buddies say yes to a fishing invite since all I get is "Sorry' date=' My Girlfriend (Lou) or my wife (Scrubby) wont let me go." lol

On another note, I just signed up to fish for Cod and Haddock on the Tuna.Com out in Mass on May 20th. I think they may have one spot available if your interested. Cost is $220. If interested let me know ASAP and I'll reach out to Dave.

[/quote']

Don't give me that bs haha. Here's the call I get from Tom for an invite on one of these trips

ring ring....(This is usually around 6 pm, just a few hours before the trip leaves.)

Me: Hey Tom what's up??

Tom: Hey bro, I'm on my way down to the dock, about to go on a jumbo biscuit trip. There's some open spots. Meet me down there.

Me: Tom, I told you to give me maybe a few days notice.

Tom: Well I'm giving you notice now, meet me there

"I am the MacGyver of cooking. If you bring me a piece of bread, cabbage, coconut, mustard greens, pigs feet, pine cones...and a woodpecker, I'll make you a good chicken pot pie." — Si Robertson

Don't give me that bs haha. Here's the call I get from Tom for an invite on one of these trips

ring ring....(This is usually around 6 pm' date=' just a few hours before the trip leaves.)

Me: Hey Tom what's up??

Tom: Hey bro, I'm on my way down to the dock, about to go on a jumbo biscuit trip. There's some open spots. Meet me down there.

Me: Tom, I told you to give me maybe a few days notice.

Tom: Well I'm giving you notice now, meet me there

[/quote']

Hey, I get that same phone call.." Im just getting on the boat, you have about an hour to get down here".....:D