IGNORED

Cold Snap and Bear Activity

MTH

For those in South Jersey, the North West NJ in Sussex and Warren County got pelted by snow on Saturday night, and temps are in the low 30's upper 20's with 30+MPH winds that have lasted two days now....

While I have a bear tag and will take one if I see one, I'm not actively hunting them. I've not set baits...and will likely just do deer drives for 6-day.

But from past experiences in hunting the December season, it always seemed that bear activity plummeted the week of Thanksgiving often going from multiple bears at baits daily to just 1 or 2, and eventually baits would go untouched for days at a time. With this recent snow and cold snap, I'm wondering how many bears will den up this week....I'm betting those who are actively baiting and hunting are seeing a substantial drop off in bear activity

It's supposed to warm up for the next 2 weeks so hopefully the bears will be up and about.  I'd love to see another 100-200 bears taken.  

My birthday wish is for a couple of mild winters, a serious reduction in the bear population, and the Forest Stewardship Plan to help our deer herd rebound a bit.  

I'm not baiting and probably won't go up cause i took one in the bow season. But in the past few years like you said the activity slows up alot this time of year. Even with food on the ground they will still head off for a little winter time nap. But there still will be a few around to take.