IGNORED

Best wader socks? Help?

I picked up tonight a pair of breathable stocking foot waders and was wondering what socks work the best? I’m used to boot foot waders and have some med-heavy Merlino wool socks I wear. I’m worried my feet will die with the neoprene feet, socks, and wading shoes. Any help?

It's all about water temps when it comes to socks and stocking foot waders.  Wear warm socks or two layers if the water is really cold in early season or during the winter months, and wear thinner socks when the water warms.  Air temps aren't your driving force like they would be if you wanted to get up and take the dog for a walk at various times of year.  Think what temperature is the water I will be wading in?

My strangest story of socks and waders is a river out West I have sworn with the friends that I discovered it with to keep secret many years ago (before the internet ruined certain things).  Let's just say it is a tailwater, and you can expect water temps to start early morning in the 42 to 44 F range and only rise to about 48F even in the hottest of days.  I can only say this tailwater is in high desert habitat, and it's not unusual for daytime temps to reach well into the 90s.  You wear a t-shirt on top but two layers of long johns plus pants under your waders and two layers of socks, and you still can't keep your face from sweating while you freeze your toes off.  But the wild trout that love to eat dry flies are huge!  :)