IGNORED

Upgrading to super-sized Magnus Bullhead - flies true like the smaller size!

mazzgolf

Last year I harvested my first turkey with a bow - used the smaller-sized Magnus Bullhead broadhead with the  2 3/4" cutting diameter. It worked - first shot got my bird. But that bird last year was stubbornly paranoid and would not come into my hoped-for 10 yard range so I had to take a shot at him at 18 yards - the neck gets skinnier at that distance :) but I did connect, but if I'm going to need to go out that far again, I'd rather have some extra blade diameter. So this year I decided to super-size it - I bought the larger Magnus Bullheads with the 3 3/4" cutting diameter. Shot it for the first time today during lunch break. Amazing, as big as these things are they fly as true as the smaller ones (well, at least at the short range I'm planning on shooting during the hunt). I'm easily comfortable out to 15 yards, and will be able to get out to 20 yards if need be. Still going to wait for that 10 yard shot, but after a couple more shooting sessions, I'm sure I'll be confident to make a head/neck shot out to 15 to 20 yards.

Take a look at the size difference between the smaller one and larger one.... I thought the smaller ones were big, but these others are huge!

turkey-broadhead-2.jpg.a0b9c13a5e685bdf3fa42855794fc9c0.jpgturkey-broadhead-1.jpg.3b47d43e9f745b9ca1e518cdc119e75b.jpg

I do have a problem - I bought those cheapy plastic quiver adapters for my smaller ones, but I don't want to waste my money on the same cheap adapters for the larger ones. There has to be a better way to secure these in a quiver - whoever shoots these, tell me what you use when holding these in the quiver. I heard someone puts plastic tubing on the blades, sounded interesting but I didn't see any pictures or details on that method. I also saw someone selling 3D printed quiver adapters for these, which are probably more sturdy but I don't know anything more about them.

I used my cat quiver a block of foam and the adapters when I used them .

IMO there are better choices . Both the bullheads and gillotines work great IF the bird is in the right position.

‘but hunt turkeys long enough , you will find many hunts don’t let you take that shot ,.

with a big expandable you can shoot a turkey going in any direction .and make a good vital hit .

Hit a bird direct with a head chopper , you hope you break their neck . Because you actually need a near miss to shoot it off .

DB538494-EB24-49C0-B647-95DCEA065AC2.jpeg

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

7 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

with a big expandable you can shoot a turkey going in any direction .and make a good vital hit .

I'm purposefully going to limit myself to only head/neck shots. I still like hunting birds with a shotgun (and will still do it this year), but for a bit of a challenge, I want to limit my bow hunts to only head/neck shots. If the bird doesn't give me a good angle or if I miss, I'll chalk it up as win for the bird and "I'll get 'em next time!"

I'll probably end up buying those 3D printed adapters if I can't come up with a better DIY solution.