IGNORED

Venison Wrapped in Bacon Suggestions

buckfever1974

Here's one I got - you can wrap the individual steaks or if you have a whole backstrap you can wrap that. I have another one around here I'll post in a minute when I find it:

Marinated, Bacon Wrapped Venison

Prep time: 25 minutes

Cook time: 55 minutes

Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds venison tenderloins, backstrap or chops

15 bacon strips

2 cups soy sauce

3 cups brown sugar, packed

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

½ teaspoon hot sauce

½ teaspoon kosher salt

½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

DIRECTIONS:

1. Whisk the marinade ingredients; soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and onion powder, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl and pour into a resealable bag that the tenderloin will fit in. Add the tenderloin and make sure the piece of meat is covered in marinade. Place in the refrigerator overnight.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees; spray a 9x13-inch pan with vegetable oil.

3. Take the venison out of the marinade. Wrap the bacon around the tenderloin girth, and cover entire tenderloin with bacon. Place carefully in the prepared pan and pour the reserved marinade over the entire tenderloin.

4. Bake (rare: 25-30 minutes; medium: 30-40 minutes; well done: 45-55 minutes) according to how you want the meat. Place on a grill or broil to crisp the outside of the tenderloin and the bacon.

5. Let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes and carve the width of the bacon slice, so each portion has a slice of crispy bacon around it.

I just made some today. I just bought this marinade in a bag from ShopRite I marinated it over night. I wrapped the pieces in bacon and put them in the crock pot. I cooked on low for a few hours we are eating it now 

C6AA12E1-1105-4FC5-968B-FBDF77216011.jpeg

C60EA5BC-35ED-4A56-861E-C2A9D2AC2497.jpeg

I Just want to Hunt...

Here's the other one I love. This says use full backstraps - but I made this with just steaks a couple times and love it. All I do is make the stuffing mix, and put a dollop on top of each steak and then put bacon on top and cook in stove.

Note that the cooking times here and the earlier one assume a full backstrap - for smaller steaks, lower the time. Just check it periodically for doneness - you obviously want pink in venison and don't want to overcook it - just keep an eye on it. Don't take these cooking times as gospel:

Stuffed Venison Backstrap

INGREDIENTS:

1-2 Whole Venison Backstraps (loin)

8oz Cream Cheese

8oz Baby Portabella Mushrooms chopped

1/4 cup Crumbled Bacon (about 6 slices)

Additional bacon slices to wrap around backstraps

1 small Yellow Onion diced

2 Tbsp Bacon Drippings

1/2 cup flat leaf Parsley chopped

2 Tbsp AP rub (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder)

2 Tbsp BBQ rub

DIRECTIONS:

Prepare smoker or any other bbq grill for indirect cooking at 350 degrees (see note below). Add your favorite wood to the hot coals for smoke flavor. (optionally just use your kitchen oven, I've done that plenty of times and it comes out good, too)

Cook bacon, remove from pan but leave the drippings.

Sauté onions and mushrooms in bacon drippings over medium heat. Add to room temperature cream cheese.

Fold in crumbled bacon and parsley to the cream cheese mixture.

Trim excess silver skin from venison backstraps and cut a slit down the length to butterfly it open. Be careful not to cut through the entire piece.

Season with AP rub and stuff with cream cheese mixture.

Wrap the outside with strips of bacon (you can half-way cook the bacon first to ensure it finishes cooking) and season with BBQ rub.

Place each backstrap on a wire cooling rack and set on the smoker.

Cook until internal temperature reaches 130 degrees or your desired doneness. The bacon should be brown on the outside. Cooks for about 20 to 30 minutes

Allow the backstrap to rest for 10 minutes and cut into individual pieces for serving.

(Optional) Partially pre-cook the bacon before wrapping the backstrap with it to make sure the bacon gets fully cooked at the end

NOTES: http://howtobbqright.com/2018/05/10/stuffed-venison-backstrap/

He also cooks unstuffed backstraps (also wrapped in bacon) on 275 degrees for about an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0oy3feq-kU

At 350 degrees in an oven: for rare about 15-20 minutes; for medium about 25-30 minutes