IGNORED

Shameless plug for our dam removal and channel restoration work

Very interesting article Brian!  The most interesting aspect to me is the removal of that monsterous dam and how all of that sediment will be handled.  That just sounds like a crazy, intense project!  Is there any beneficial use that can be found for sediment?  Anything about it that offers a benefit anywhere else in the environment, outside of the river?  I'd imagine it's not quite "top quality" compost that some farm fields can use :)

Very interesting article Brian!  The most interesting aspect to me is the removal of that monsterous dam and how all of that sediment will be handled.  That just sounds like a crazy, intense project!  Is there any beneficial use that can be found for sediment?  Anything about it that offers a benefit anywhere else in the environment, outside of the river?  I'd imagine it's not quite "top quality" compost that some farm fields can use :)

We won't know until we can vibracore test the sediment by taking multiple core samples in the impoundment above the dam.  In theory, most of it should be very good for planting if it's fine enough.  This is above the paper mill, so we shouldn't have any toxicity issues.  We couldn't get the equipment in to take our core samples this past winter for obvious reasons, and we're working on this now during the spring.  We'll know soon enough.  But it's a lot of sediment to deal with!  We are kicking around many innovative ideas on how to remove it and where to place it, but it will take some time to figure it all out given that we still don't know its makeup.