IGNORED

Nockturnals vs. Ignitor nocks

BowTechExperience

Ok guys, here is an unscientific comparison between the two different nocks. I will state unfront that I like the Nockturnals a bit more just because they are a little more simpler in design as an end user is concerned.

Shooting was done with my BT Experience set to 55/56 lbs, 28" draw and a 300 grain completed Victory HV 400 with an Easton Super 3D nock.

Test arrow # 1 was my standard arrow above. sighted in at 20 out to 50 yards.

Test arrow # 2 was with the same arrow but the standard nock was substituted with a Nockturnal that I slightly sanded a few days ago. I have them shooting spot on out to 50 yards.

uw9c.jpg

Test arrow # 3 was with the same arrow but the Nockturnal was substituted for the Ignitor nock. The Ignitor nock is a three piece nock. Aluminum insert, the light element and a clear nock. You hot melt the insert into the back of the arrow, put in the light stick then press fit the nock into the insert. The nock does not fit 100% into the insert because the light stick is activated when the string pushes into the back of the nock, seating the nock completely which activates the light. I'm not sure I like this system completely yet.

qyrk.jpg

Keep in mind I only intend to use a lighted nocked arrow during a low light situation which means shots under 30 yrads anyway, so I do not believe the total weight differences are an issue.

My dislikes of the Ignitor nocks are that they are not nearly as bright as the Nockturnals, but I guess that during a low light encounter it will appear bright regardless. I do not like the three piece design, even though it allows you to turn off the light by pulling off the nock, then pulling on the tip of the light to turn it off, but then this creates problem # 3 in my eyes is that as you practice with them, the pulling off, putting back on of the nock will wear down the neck of the nock going into the aluminum insert creating a looser fit over time.

The plus side of them is that they work as advertised and are cheaper than Nockturnals and still hit to the same POI as my Nockturnals and will ride in my quiver along side a Nockturnal equiped arrow.

Final pic is of the Ignitor arrow shot at 50 yards into my 3D target. As you can see it will do the job...

Disclaimer: I am not a Professional Shooter ( though my ego says different ) or tester and all shooting is done by me and what is written above is my opinion based on me and the fact that I am human, shot in my back yard without the aid of any kind of shooting equipment other than my hunting set-up....  This paragraph is meant as humor just in case.....Haha..

61k6.jpg

All pics taken with the iPhone

Ps: IMHO, the iPhone 5 takes terrible pics unless viewed on the phone itself..

Update on the brightness factor:  Just took 3 shots outside at 8:05. Brighness is not an issue, they are bright enough during low light. I was able to track it out to 50 yards into the deer target...

Edited by BowTechExperience

Good Post x2.  I'll be hunting with a compound bow this fall instead of an Xbow and am playing around with lighted nocks.  What is your opinion on Lumenoks?  I've got a Bowtech Insanity CPXL set up @ 30 inches and 70 lbs shooting Easton FMJ 300's.  So far, I'm pretty happy with the performance although they're a bit of a pain to turn off (I need to use a pair of pliers to unseat the nock enough to turn it off).

Ithaca, I'm sure they are a fine product but, "Pliers to turn them off"...not for me. I would be afraid of ruining them or worst yet, having the arrow fly off target because the nock is not square to the shaft.

I don't like the technique used to turn them off. I just watched a video online about them and the manufacturer suggests gently grasping the nock and rock it back and forth to turn off. I don't want to bend a nock to shut it off. If they fly accurate for you and bending the nock is not an issue, go for it...

BTW: Nice bow set-up. :up:

Edited by BowTechExperience

BTW: Nice bow set-up. :up:

Thanks, I'm totally in love with it although I sort of wish I got 80lb limbs since I'm shooting such a heavy arrow (which the lighted nocks aren't helping).  I know I could switch to a lighter arrow, but I was strongly advised to stick with the FMJ 300's based on the poundage and draw length.

Edited by IthacaDS3

Nice comparison! Always interesting to put gear head to head. (or in this case, nock to nock) lol

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear