IGNORED

Missed an opportunity at a coyote . . .

Ms Grit

I was able to hunt again this morning and decided that since the birds walked into the field on Tuesday, I would bring in 2 decoys and place them 20 yards into the field and I would set up 10 yards into the woods, hoping to cover my bases.

Well, as daylight approached, I heard no gobbles, but saw something running across the field towards the decoys.  I thought, "is that a deer, can't be a de . . . holy shit, it's a coyote"  At about 80 yards out, I raised my gun and took off the safety, but I guess he caught my movement because as soon as I did, he turned and high tailed it outta there. Wish I had waited until he was closer and maybe messing with the decoys, but I thought that as soon as he realized they weren't real, he would be gone. 

An hour passed and still no gobbles and just as I found myself wondering what could have happened there the past 2 days while I was at work, one sounded off from about 150 yards behind me in the woods.  I called and got responses 4 times before he completely shut up, but not before the other one joined in. He was way farther away though and off to my left, somewhere on the other side of the dirt field.  Well, I tried calling like every 15 minutes or so, tried to remain as still as possible, but no more responses from either of them until around 10am when the second bird gobbled from way to my forward left in a small wooded area above the dirt field, so I made a move.

I scrambled up the hedge row between the dirt and the green field and the only birds I displaced up top were a few crows.  I called several times in that wooded area but got no response so around 10:45 I headed back down to my decoys and upon entering the green field came across at least 8 deer in the middle of the field.  I picked up my decoys, shoved them in the back (bottom part) of my vest and walked the woods to where they had roosted Monday evening.  I walked that area of the woods and called a few times until 11:50 when I finally surrendered the white flag to them for week "A"

So, I'm now out of the game until "D" week.

Frustrating, but fun . . .

Edited by Ms Grit

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

Oh wow, that makes the morning! Pretty cool to see a yote cruising around. Hindsight is always 20/20, but they definitely pick out movement quick.

Sounds like you still had some action around you, but they just wouldn't commit!

A beautiful day out there though, good luck in D week! :up:

Damn, that would have been awesome. Sounds like a good day all in all and you had a pretty good week. Can't kill 'em every time...Unless of course your name is Droptine and Markmartinfan! lol Those guys are the butterball brothers!

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Damn, that would have been awesome. Sounds like a good day all in all and you had a pretty good week. Can't kill 'em every time...Unless of course your name is Droptine and Markmartinfan! lol Those guys are the butterball brothers!

Yep, 3 days out and I worked a bird(s) each day, just couldn't get them to commit. I probably don't have that hen sweet talk (purrs) down yet. And the coyote thing was so totally unexpected that it caught me off guard and I reacted too quickly, but it really was a cool experience.  Now the next thing on my agenda is striper fishing tomorrow and then mid next week I head down to GA to empty Mike's dorm and bring him home for the summer.

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member