IGNORED

Anyone Hunting the Special Canada Goose Winter Season?

NJNewbie

Was thinking about giving this a try but not sure if I'm wasting my time. The area I hunt in coastal holds geese, but is not in the special winter geese season area. I could trailer the boat up to sawmill, but I haven't spent enough time there, and I'm not playing with the tide swings this late in the year. I've knocked on a couple of doors trying to get permission to hunt farmland, didn't get anywhere. 

On top of the above, I only have 4 geese decoys, all floaters. I also have a nucanoe 12 kayak, I was thinking maybe id be better off trying to jump shoot them on the smaller rivers up north. Any ideas for me or am I just wasting my time? 

My advice would be: don't go into a spot blind and set up and just hope they show!

You may be better off jump shooting, as you've suggested.  I always have success in the southern winter goose zone, but I usually do just that: jump shoot.  Take a half day off, drive around, and try jump shooting a few different spots... it'll double as a scout.  If you see something really promising, let the birds be and come up with a plan to set up for a proper hunt there.

Not what it was just 5-6 years ago.  I statred to see Fields in and arond monmouth county and than beyound with wire ( string ) with streamers from one end of the Fieds to the other at first I thught deer and Than was told Geese The many sod farms and Corporate Lawns have been completly strong with this method, And The Resident and wild  Populations  have been cut 80% No more Flocks flying over just a few on small plots here and there . This method has become very succesful and goes up Oct till May on the Sod farms, 

Good Luck :up:

FS1217-2.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

• 1 month later...

Since you're not in a special winter geese season area, you'll need to ensure you're hunting legally and within regulations. If coastal areas hold geese, it's worth exploring whether there are opportunities to hunt them legally outside of the special season. Check local regulations and consult with wildlife authorities to ensure compliance. Securing permission to hunt on private farmland can be challenging, but persistence and building relationships with landowners can pay off. Keep trying to knock on doors and explain your intentions respectfully. Sometimes, it takes multiple attempts or finding the right landowner who's open to allowing hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

have in years past...would see geese..sometimes alot sometimes a little. Sometimes a few would come in and get shot or shot at sometimes no shots at all.

With only 4 decoys you'd be better trying the jump shoot. Or buy more...like 30 plus of them.