IGNORED

Traditions Vortek Muzzleloader

username

If anyone is shooting the Traditions Vortek 30" muzzle loader, please advise.  I will like to share and gather ballistics data.

Heading to the range next week to test the 870 and Vortek at 200 and 300 yards.  

There's a lot of hearsay out there as to the accuracy and precision of these guns past 150ya. I would like to have some first hand knowledge from shooters that have experience.  

Particularly, I would like to hear what round, bullet, or powder used gave the best results.

Going with Hornady's and triple 7's to start.  Normally, like the Sierra Game/Match King or Noslers.  Will try the Barnes as well.

Your 870, is it a 12 or 20ga, rifled/cantilever barrel?  

12ga fully rifled, and cantilevered, with a 4-12x40mm Vortex scope.  Great accuracy and precision off of the bench-rest at 100ya.

I just do not see how either the ML or 870 will lose thier accuracy past 150ya.  I understand that 300gr bullets are going to slow down. However, I would expect enough accuracy at 200ya to safely, consistently, and cleanly take deer sized game.

Ever try the Barnes at longer distances?

I suppose three pellets would be useless, other than for making a flamethrower.  Doubt the third pellet would burn in time to push the bullet.

Gotta get to the range...

I only shot the barnes out to 120 yds., and I'm happy

what slugs from the 870?

I have the 1187 in 12ga same barrel as your 870, Lightfield EXPs 2-3/4" shot really good, the Remington Accutips in 2-3/4" shot as good out too 100 yds but was better over 100 yds, so if I ever hunt with it I will use the Accutips......I'm a 20ga guy !!!