IGNORED

God &@#$ coyotes...

Thrudheim

Last night took the little ones out to try to put one to bed and set up the area I planned on hunting this morning before work. I know where they roost, but not WHERE they roost. Didn't hear a thing, words were quiet and kids started getting antsy and wanted to go to Frank's Pizza since I told them if they did everything I told them and were quiet we would go. I start walking back down the logging road and lo and behold right where I am gonna be about 80yds in front of us is a strutter with two hens.

Told the kids to freeze and we just stood there while they slowly made their way back into the woods.

FF to this morning, I am back against tree and ass on ground by 0510. It was cloudy and quiet, woods start waking up and I am waiting to see if anyone is gonna be home. Thought I set up wrong as woods were silent except for songbirds and then he starts ripping up the woods, like close, like holy crap how did I not bump him close. The kind of close where you're afraid if he pitches down towards you he will slam into your face close.

So he gobbles every few minutes and i hear the hens talking back, down in the gulley below me by the stream, 100yds or so off. I start soft purring and clucking on my new Jimmy Schaffer glass I picked up Sunday (amongst a few others from him). He keeps answering me and the hens, gobbling away. i hear what I thought was him moving on the limb but a few minutes later I hear him and he is on the ground with the hens, turns out he pitched down away from me, no flapping no nothing.

I start calling back to him and he answers willingly, wind up getting into a call for call match with the hens and at one point it sounded like they were getting pissed and were making their way towards me. This goes on for a little bit, sound far, sound close. At one point I then see a bird about 100yds away on the trail and figure they are finally making their way to find out who I am.

I notice in my peripheral on my right something coming down the trail and I turn my head to see a friggin 'yote come barrelling full bore into my decoys and keep on truckin', right behind that about 3 seconds later is the smaller one who eyeballed me for a bit and was hanging around no matter what I did. I wasn't sure of a shot so i held off wondering where the other one was since it is now obvious I am the hunted one.

All the while i can still see the birds but they are staying put, the smaller one eventually starts making its way in the direction of where the birds are and a few minutes later, total radio silence so either the other 'yote spooked 'em or wound up getting one although I did not hear anything to confirm that.

All in all a great morning and this all took place within an hour or so, packed it in at around 7 and headeed into work, try again tomorrow, Friday and then Saturday.

#bearcult

Wow, as much as it sucks to have the turkey hunt compromised, the hunt itself sounds pretty cool. Always neat to see yotes come rolling in...even though it spoils that particular hunt. It would also be a little more palatable if you weren't limited to a week for a permit. One "lost" hunt is costly, so that definitely sucks.

Sorry that it didn't work out for you THIS TIME, but it sounds like you had an exciting morning either way.  Keep at it as anything can happen and happen quickly . . .

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

Was in bed by 830 last night with plans to go out this morning, woke up at 0415 and just couldn't, was wiped.

Well that'll never get you a bird, lol

But I do understand pushing yourself to the brink of exhaustion.

Good Luck Tomorrow !!!

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member