IGNORED

Bullet shape when reloading

patm

When reloading and the load data says use this many grains of this powder and this (named) 150 grain bullet.  Is it going to make a big difference if I substitute a rather similar type bullet of the same grain?  Example Hornady 308 Savage 300 vs Hornady .308 SST.

Edited by patm

• patm changed the title to Bullet shape when reloading

Generally speaking no it shouldnt.  If you are near max charge with a given 150 grain, back it down a few grain and work back up with new bullet.  If you were using a 150 gr SST and switched to an all copper bullet, barnes/nosler etip etc you should look up load data for them specifically.  You are more likely to see pressure issues with that type of switch.  

1 hour ago, MikeStaten said:

What bullet and round do you need data for?    

I'm reloading a Savage .300.  I'm using H335 powder.  The load data said use a Hornady 308 Savage bullet.  These are the two bullets I was using.  The load data said to start at 36 grains and not exceed 39.

30 CAL. .308"       150 gr      SST®       .415 (G1) 
30 CAL .308" (300 SAVAGE)   150 gr   SST®   .370 (G1)

Thanks everyone for your help.

Like others said, start with light loads and work up.  There is some difference in max loads even if the bulllets are the same weight. The longer the bullet’s bearing surface (part that actually touches the barrel) the lower the max load.   Also, the construction of the bullet (all copper, thin jacket vs thick jacket etc… ) makes a difference too.