IGNORED

Youth Turkey Day

Williemo

Youth Turkey Day is Saturday April 20th.

I'm hoping my son will take his hunter's ed test in Feb/Mar. The way the regulations read, he has to have his turkey zone permit to hunt. We have a place in zone 14, but typically, the permits are sold out by the end of the lottery date. So I'm afraid there won't be any permits left since his test is after the lottery closes. Does anyone know if there is a youth "exception" or do youths automatically get a permit??

1sm260gun1.gif

Youths automatically get their first choice in the lottery, but let me find the link to the NJ Fish & Wildlife website . . . I think if . . . wait, let me check it out before I say anything else . . .

OK, here's the link and it's not real specific http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/turkey_info.htm

The youth can hunt with their Youth License, but they have to putchase a permit. (I think I read it was $10.00) Their first permit is for week "Y" which is valid for the entire season until they shoot their first bird. It doesn't say this, but I thought that I remembered youths automatically getting their first choice of zones, but don't hold me to that. I do remember running out the day before youth day last year and getting Deidre and Matt's permits and not having a problem with getting their requested zones.

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

Youths automatically get their first choice in the lottery' date=' but let me find the link to the NJ Fish & Wildlife website . . . I think if . . . wait, let me check it out before I say anything else . . .

OK, here's the link and it's not real specific http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/turkey_info.htm

The youth can hunt with their Youth License, but they have to putchase a permit. (I think I read it was $10.00) Their first permit is for week "Y" which is valid for the entire season until they shoot their first bird. It doesn't say this, but I thought that I remembered youths automatically getting their first choice of zones, but don't hold me to that. I do remember running out the day before youth day last year and getting Deidre and Matt's permits and not having a problem with getting their requested zones.

[/quote']

Whew! Relieving news! Somehow, I figured you'd be the one "in the know" with regards to kids!:cool: Thanks alot!

1sm260gun1.gif

My son turns 10 mid April. Anyone know if there are any classes around that time scheduled for Hunter Ed. I just bought him a new custom call for his birthday from 2barrel and I'd love to get him out to use it.

I "Think" classes start at the end of March. You should be ok. :thumb_up:

Hand Turned Pot Calls and All Wood Grunt Tubes.

https://www.facebook.com/KobleCalls

My son turns 10 mid April. Anyone know if there are any classes around that time scheduled for Hunter Ed. I just bought him a new custom call for his birthday from 2barrel and I'd love to get him out to use it.

Like 2barrell stated, classes due open up at the end of March. The list of where classes will be held, should be posted by mid-February. Good luck to your son.