IGNORED

My week catch up

DBuck

I told you about Monday and all the "wtf moments" trying to get my buddy his first bird.Well Tuesday we go to a different piece of public land,I meet him there after work and after talking to another guy that was pulled in to see where he was going, we head in.I know where I want to set up so we get there and there's a blind,well I figure the guy isn't there by now then there's a chance he might not be coming.I'm sitting there and just a little after sunrise I see a guy walking across the field heading in our direction,so you can imagine what I was thinking in my head. He gets to us and is oblivious to me sitting there,I say "Yo" he doesn't hear me so I say it a little louder and move my arm,he gives me this dumbfound look and says "you staying here?" I reply "is that your blind"  he says "yes",so I told him we would move,and adding "you might want to get here a little earlier in the future".He was an older guy and I didn't want him trampling through the woods,and since I knew where the other guy was hunting I didn't want him messing up his hunt also.

So we move to another spot, after sitting and calling every so often I see 2 birds coming down the hill,Bob isn't moving,they walk with in 20 yards of him to his left. they stay in the area for about 5 minutes then walk away,I waited about 10 minutes(I was sitting about 15 yards behind him) and walked up to him."you sleeping" I say He said no. I told him about the birds and he said he never saw them. I ws kind of glad because I wanted his first bird to be that "distant gobbling,listening to it get closer,back of the neck hair standing up,shaking experience,you know the feeling? The one that gets you hooked on turkey hunting.So we move to another spot,down towards where the guy told us  he was going in the morning, he said that he was going to be running and gunning so I figured he would be out of the area by now.We find a spot to sit and start calling,all of a sudden there's a distant gobble up on the ridge,we run towards it to get a little closer. I start calling then I hear someone else calling,shit I say to myself,well lets see who wins this. He goes with the call and wait tactic,I go with aggressive calling. The bird is answering to every call,he triple gobbled a few times so I said to Bob,"get ready he's going to come" They're getting closer and closer(yup there's 2),I see them coming in,the first one has a decent beard,the second one I can't tell. Bob shoots and I see a bird go down, I shoot at the other one but missed,I'm pretty sure I jumped when he shot and forgot all about looking through the sight..ha... I told him to jump on his bird and I went to make sure that I missed the other one.He ended up shooting a Jake,but is very happy with his first bird. I asked him how he felt,he said he was still shaking,I said "now you know why I love turkey hunting"

Ok on to Friday. working nights then going hunting afterwards is quite exhausting, so I needed to catch up on some sleep.

So yesterday  I head out to a different  public piece,I get there and I have it all to myself.As the sun starts getting up I hit my hooter locator a couple times,nothing.I wait a while and head up a big rocky knoll. Do a few random calls,still nothing. Then there's a gobble,the bird makes his way in,he's close enough that I can hear thee leaves rustling as he's walking, I see his head,I put the sight on him and wait until i can see his beard,it's a Jake. he sat 5 yards away from me for 10 minutes gobbling and looking for the hen before wandering off. So I hear 2 more gobbles down in front of me coming closer,they get to where I can see them and they both fan out,2 nice toms. They came in but only half way up the knoll,they were gobbling and looking for the hen,when they didn't see her they too wandered off,they definitely weren't new to the game. The rest of the day was pretty much uneventful,the birds went quiet and I didn't see any in the fields. Once again,a great hunt even though I didn't kill a bird. And that's why I love turkey hunting,it's never about the kill.Oh,and I forgot my go pro at home,so I thought when i couldn't find it in my truck in the morning. I get back to my truck and there it is,in the case,halfway under my back seat.Would've been a good day to have it with that Jake gobbling so close to me for such a long time.

Sorry for the long read,I just like to go into detail.Oh crap,I'm starting to turn into Matty.

Great read.

And hey, turkey hunting is usually full of action and it's fun to tell all the details. LOL

Congrats to your buddy, that sounds like an addicting type hunt....Easy success doesn't hook someone the same way working hard for something does! Sounds like a great week!

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear