IGNORED

Updates on NJ Concealed Carry Laws

It's tough to keep track of everything, but a few updates that I've seen a few people not up to date with.  I feel like I cant keep up with it all!

1. NJ changed the law from a Permit to Carry, to a concealed carry.  Previously you could have open carried if you liked (although that's the worst idea).  You still see PTC is verbiage but know that you are now required to carry concealed from a holster.  They do allow for incidental showing of the firearm when clothing gets moved, or transferring a gun from a holster to lock box, etc.  

2. The process for getting your PTC will be changing.  If you submitted your app after 12/22/22 then your permit will be issued from the Chief Police Officer (term they use, I suppose to cover both Chief of Police, or a Dept. CLEO).  I knew the Superior Court Judges would get tired of the process! 

3. However, in the new law, it states that the Superindent, or Chief Police Officer should verify that the applicant is within the liability insurance requirements.  I know this is a tricky one, has anyone gotten insurance yet? Does anyone know if it is available.  I see this as the best way for the politicians to attack our rights.  

4. The application will be coming to FARS, estimated 7 month time frame, so eventually your application (which needs to be renewed every two years), should be able to be completed the same way you applice for your FPID or permit to purchase.  

Liability insurance is not available in nj at this time since Gov snaggletooth told insurance companies in nj not to make it available 5 years ago. he'll have to rescind that order or no one will be able to carry after  July 1, 2023.

From evannappen.com

What are the general requirements to obtain a permit to carry a handgun under New Jersey law, now that the “need” requirement has been eliminated but the new Murphy “Carry-Killer” Anti-Civil Rights Law has passed?

A: Under N.J.S. 2C:58-4d., a person must demonstrate that he/she is:

has not engaged in any acts or made any statements that suggest the applicant is likely to engage in conduct, other than lawful self-defense, that would pose a danger to the applicant or others and who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of N.J.S.2C:58-3;

is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns;

has completed the training requirements established. Classroom instruction and target training shall not be required for a renewal applicant who completed the instruction and training when obtaining a permit to carry a handgun issued within the previous two years; and

has the required liability insurance. (This takes effect on July 1, 2023.)

As far as the classroom training is concerned has there been any information released as to what the training entails or are we waiting on Callahan? And are we going to need to show proficiency again at the range?

I can easily see the combination of classroom and proficiency training easily be over $200, plus whatever the liability insurance is going to be.

I'll tell you right now, things are going to be getting crazy. the ANJRPC case was consolidated into Koons and will be heard by Judge Bumb. We all see the fight GOA is putting up against NY  at the moment. While the 3rd circuit isn't as bad as the 2nd... it could be better.

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff