hammer4reel

Must be me

Reading all these reports about mature bucks cruising has me scratching my head.

Been doing all day sits for over a week. I haven't seen a single good buck cruising .or even a small buck trying to chase in either my NJ or PA spots.

Seeing lots of does daily. And few small bucks.

Definitely nothing to write home about.

And of the dozen bucks or so I'm seeing not one has been hocked up yet.

Edited by hammer4reel
  • Agree 1

It is you Dan!. LOL.....On Saturday Morning I had great movement....saw multiple bucks with two at least 3&1/2 years old or better (and took one of them).....last night....while out for turkey, I had multiple bucks cruising again, and could have dropped several 2&1/2 year old 8's at under 15 yards.... My cams are showing all day traffic at most of my stands in Sussex and Warren counties.....

May be the area and/ or buck/ doe ratio. My spots which seem to hold more bucks than does (especially mature bucks) are showing a lot more rut activity (less deer in general in this area). Areas where I have more does than bucks, seems that only the immature bucks are feeling it. All my spots are northern Morris county. I did see a small spike try to mount a doe in the roadway in crossing traffic yesterday! I still only get one maybe two real "magic" rut activity days a year regardless of area usually happening around nov 9 +/-

Agreed, we saw a bunch of deer yesterday but there was no rutting activity or older bucks up and about.  It was just normal feeding activity.

As stated in previous posts, I work on Fort Monmouth which is overrun by deer.... Mind you on any given day throughout the year there are bucks on their feet, but this past week, they have been cruising! Noses down bumping does. Some of the big boys not caring about cars around them. That being said, i have not seen much daytime chasing as most of it has been overnight or still dark in the mornings. Just sat in zone 50 without a deer sighting.

• Agree 1

I haven't seen anything but young bucks and does while hunting.  

I did see a beauty of an 8 the other night feeding down the road from my house when I was driving home from a Halloween party.   

Edited by not on the rug

I with you Dan, nothing big roaming around the spots I've been camming. I might be spending this weekend scouting for an extra spot or two to hunt next week if something doesn't materialize in my other spots.

Remember, you only see the posts from the guys who are seeing good action.  I don't post when I don't see crap.  Most people probably don't either....so you're not seeing a representative sample. It looks like it's going to get colder on Friday.  Friday - Monday might be pretty good....

They probably were chasing the does past your stand the other day when you and Tracy went fishing :laughing: 

Reading all these reports about mature bucks cruising has me scratching my head.

Been doing all day sits for over a week. I haven't seen a single good buck cruising .or even a small buck trying to chase in either my NJ or PA spots.

.Me too Dan, not seeing much action.

I'm with you also...nothing I am seeing besides a few small bucks popping in and out to tell me the rut is going on. I think it is hitting North NJ first then coming down

Just made a post about this Hammer4Reel. Think the weather and full moon combo has the big boys waiting a bit. I'm expecting next week into the following week to be much better.

I remember being grumpy one day and things really have not changed much since.as far as deer sightings go.

So I drove home through Saddle River like I normally do every disgruntled day.  As I passed the town hall, the school, and then the intersection next to the police station, I looked ahead past the red barn and what did I see?  A doe was grazing on that small patch of grass near the next light (if you're driving toward 17 it's on your left side).  So as traffic inched forward, what do I see about 10 yards away from the doe?  A big, thick 8-pointer looking at her and looking back at the woods, torn between love and lust, and the safety of the woods.  If that wasn't liberal central, I would have pulled into the parking lot and stuck the buck.  But I probably would have been swarmed by SJW soccer moms driving exotic SUVs.

But the game is on!

Here's what I can tell you ..far West zone 11 on the river..last week chasing grunting and making scrapes everywhere..2 guys on our property killed decent bucks..today and yesterday notta..one guy saw a big 8 probably the one I have seen a couple times, but he was just walking this morning not even scent checking...I'm not sure what's happening.

Same here, a couple 110"-120" chasing a bit but thats it. My area has alot of does though, i dont usually see the big boys until the first wave of breeding is done and the mature boys got to look for receptive does instead of just grabbing one of the many as they walk by during the first phase. My action seems to heat up when guys start posting that the rut is over

Just got back from Ohio - I should have shot the 125" buck that came by me on the first morning before the 80 degree weather set in....  Just checked my two main observation cams in NJ and it's the same bucks I had since July...  Lots of action - nothing to shoot.   (young bucks only)  

• Agree 1

Just got back from Ohio - I should have shot the 125" buck that came by me on the first morning before the 80 degree weather set in....  Just checked my two main observation cams in NJ and it's the same bucks I had since July...  Lots of action - nothing to shoot.   (young bucks only)

. Got these guys by us Jack. I actually though the giant 6 I shot was the funky 11 pt. Till I finally recovered him. Those long main beams and the single tine through me off. Never had the giant 6 on cam till I shot him. But that 9 & the 11 are still in cam. Actually thinking of getting a muzzy tag for the first time in 5 years.

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

• Agree 1