IGNORED

Any Mechanics?

remingtonman1108

Not sure what happened here but if you can think of anything other then the transmission that would be great.

I was driving like I do every morning on the highway. Nothing out of the ordinary. I slow down to take the off ramp and then accelerate as I get off and I hear a loud bang (sounds like when 4x4 engages and locks in place) but the sound didnt come from the front end. It came from right under my drivers seat.

As soon as it happened I pulled over to check if something was under the truck. Nothing was there. I rev the engine to see if anything sounds funky and nothing happened.

Now I start driving. As soon as I hit about 30mph I starts to sound like metal is grinding together (comes from under my seat) and I can feel the vibrations.

I tried engaging 4x4 and I hear it lock in place and driving with that to see if that helped and the sound was still there but alot softer. As soon as I took 4x4 off again the sound is back.

Have an hour + drive home from the office tonight so I wonder if I should bring it right to the shop to check it out?

What am I looking at here? Anyone have a guess?

Could be a few things but without seeing it it could be the transfer case actuator the switches the transfer case from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.The fords have a habit of hanging up and causing exactly what you describe.I would definatly take it to a shop to have it checked out.Did the check engine light come on or the overdrive light start flashing.

Hunting and fishing is not a sport to me its a way of life:rock:

Could be a few things but without seeing it it could be the transfer case actuator the switches the transfer case from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.The fords have a habit of hanging up and causing exactly what you describe.I would definatly take it to a shop to have it checked out.Did the check engine light come on or the overdrive light start flashing.

Nope no check engine light or O/D flashing. Going to take it out in the parking lot at lunch and see if I can figure it out. If not I will take it to somewhere around the office i guess.

Nope no check engine light or O/D flashing. Going to take it out in the p. arking lot at lunch and see if I can figure it out. If not I will take it to somewhere around the office i guess.

My first thought was transfer case. You can remove one drive shaft at a time and drive in 4wd, might help you isolate problem. I was driving my old f150 one time when i heard a loud bang and metal pinging around. Blew out the spider gear in the rear. Pulled the drive shaft,put it in 4 wheel and made it home with front wheel drive.

Towed it from work just to be safe.

i-vJqBsPF-L.jpg

Actually just got the call from the shop.

Ruptured front left 4x4 vacuum hose. When it ruptured (some how) it half way locked the hub in place and caused the grinding. Since there was no vacuum pressure I couldnt get the front end unlocked and back to full 4x2. How the heck did it even engage in the first place? Beyond me.

Picking it up at lunch today.

Friend of mine has a 2012 a few weeks ago his truck was locked in 4-Low without him putting it into 4-Low, the dealer told him to disconnect the battery to re-set the computer, it worked. To play it safe he took it to the dealer just to have them check it out since he still has a warranty, no codes could be found cause he did what he did with the battery per the dealer. Upon looking into this problem on the internet he found that some have this problem when it's very cold