IGNORED

Reloading Newb

Haskell_Hunter

You reload for precision.  Generally speaking, factory ammo is accurate enough for its application.  

First, always pick up your brass and label the firearm in which it was shot.  

Second, start saving up.  $1000 is a nice target.

Third, buy and read this book.  Quick, easy, and concise.

nr40830ef13527.jpg

Then buy two or three reloading books.  I have: Hornady, Speer, and Lyman.  I like books, however, you may find pdf's. Read the beginning of each book as they explain the reloading process again.  Always nice to have the same concepts from a different perspective.

I like to cross-reference data from a few books. You would be surprised at the variance between books.

Equipment suggestions.

Forget the sonic cleaners and dry tumblers.  Dry tumblers take too long and do not do as good a job as the wet rotary tumblers.  I suggest Thumler's Tumbler with stainless media and lemi-shine.  I have cleaned brass overnight for 24hours in dry media.  1.5 hours in the Thumlers was much better.  The insides of the cases were far cleaner than dry media.  Primer pockets were shiny and no dry media in the flash-hole.

Presses?  Everyone has an opinion.  I have an RCBS, Hornady, and Mec Jr.  RCBS for rifles and pistols. Hornady for the heavy hitter.  Mec Jr for the shotgun.

Keep an eye out for a deal on an RCBS setup.  OpticsPlanet often does a 10% coupon and free shipping which helps.  Just watch they do not load the package up with junk.

You'll also want a charge dispenser and scale.  I like the RCBS 1500 Chargemaster Combo. It is both accurate and precise.  Although, I do have an old beam balance I used as a double check every few rounds.

Whatever you do, give us a shout before, and we'll give you the yay or nay.

If you can afford to, I would purchase as much as possible from CH4D.  Their stuff is top notch.  For most applications, RCBS and Hornady will do just fine.  

Edited by username

• 3 years later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I just bought (or ordered rather) a custom Weatherby Mark V in .270 Weatherby magnum. At $3.00/round, it might be prudent to start looking into reloading again. 

I’m also shooting about a thousand rounds of various calibers per month. .45 ACP, .223 are usually the majority of it. 

I’m actually looking at portable benches that I can set up for a reloading session and then put away to save space since I don’t have a dedicated space. Any table suggestions?

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

8 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

At $3.00/round, it might be prudent to start looking into reloading again. 

$3.00, for the factory stuff?  That's pricey.  I've seen worse.  Try $4.35 for brass!

In terms of precision, reloading should pay off.  However, modern ammo can often be better than reloads for those that do not pay attention to detail.

In regards to the bench, portable usually is not sturdy.  When you cam over, you don't want any slop in the bench. 

I would encourage you to find an area whereby a "bench" that just holds the press is permanent.  Everything else could go on a folding table. 

I stick built a bench out of 2x4's that are anchored to studs and floor beams.  If I could lift my car and slowly rest it on the bench, I bet it would hold!  

If you care to share an image of the space you have to work with, maybe we can come up with some ideas.

Looks like you're out of luck on brass.  I cannot find my favorites: RWS and Lapua. 

Usually, I suggest you buy some ammo, shoot, and save the brass.  But at the price you're looking at, you might just want to buy brass to start.

Try the Nosler Trophy grade ammo if you decide to shoot factory ammo.  I have no idea what the Weatherby ammo is like.

Here's a link to the unprepped Nosler brass.  Looks like the prepped stuff is sold out at Grafs.

An honorable mention for a small bench.

47acc5c48a6f18c3457905d4a70319da.jpg

36 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I am extremely limited on space and that's why I was going the route of a set up/break down table.  I will see if I can create some space, but it's going to be difficult.

Table doesn’t need to be big but it needs to be somewhat rigid / heavy.  You could probably get by with a 2’ x 2’ table made with 4”x4” frame and topped with 2”x12” board or doubled up 3/4” ply.   

The only time things tend to jump around and move is during sizing, thats when you need the table to be sturdy. You can mount everything to a doubled 2’x2’ of 3/4” plywood then clamp it to a workbench when you need to size. Protip- size all your brass at once then you can load anywhere you’d like at another time. I load over my friends, he has a partner press set up on a workbench to size. We load on the 2’x2’ press on his regular table

AWM

7 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I was looking at this table at Midway.  Quick set-up/break-down.  Decent reviews.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012719865?pid=629993

$160 for that?  No way!  I might iron my clothes on it, but wouldn't reload.  If you're limited in space, don't buy more junk.

I would make a bench wherever you can.  You can cover 99% of it with junk 99% of the time.  But when it comes to reloading, you'll only need a few inches to set the press.  A couple of 2x4's and some 3/4" plywood.

Take a picture of the shelter and we'll help you figure it out.