IGNORED

Whittingham wma bow hunting

Rackattackf7

I live down the rd.. pass by between prime time and dark every night.

I haven't seen a deer since August and there was only like 2 every now and then.

I talk to hunters if they are packing their truck while I'm passing by after dark, and they all seem to see the same thing...0 deer and a few bears.

Seen 1 guy dragging a doe out a few days ago...

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

These guys are located at the SW end of the WMA:

http://www.appalachianbowmen.org

Might want to shoot them an email with your questions.  I don't hunt there, so that's one less fat guy you have to worry about, but I've ridden past it on my bike, and it looks like good land.  It's smaller, only 1,930 acres, and I would assume it gets a good amount of pressure.

Definitely try to scout it and learn the land a bit.  You might glass a few stands and know where avoid, and you'll also be able to pick up some deer signs and find a good spot of your own.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/wmamaps/whittingham.pdf

State map.  Kind of crappy, but a good start.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Here is my honest no BS assessment. I live a mile from the Fredon section, off rt 618, and also the section that extends south on rt 519 including the water dog training area.

Phenomenal looking deer property, but maybe once or twice a year, do I ever see deer on it.  It gets hammered mostly during 6 day - lots of different gangs drive it.

The best chance to have any shot of decent bowhunting would be late October leading up to before Small Game opens - from that point until 6 day - all the fields and first several hundred yards of woods are scoured daily by hunters and bird dogs, so what few deer live on Whittingham, get pushed out to private lands or just in very deep into the heart of the WMA far enough from the small game hunters.  Last season, I did some "in deep" scouting of the interior sections, and never saw so much available browse and acorns. What was missing were rubs, scrapes, trails, and scat.  

I hunt a lot of private land surrounding Whittingham, and the deer numbers (especially doe) are way down from where they were 10 years ago.

To cut to the chase - I could practically walk there to hunt deer and you couldn't pay me to.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Here is my honest no BS assessment. I live a mile from the Fredon section, off rt 618, and also the section that extends south on rt 519 including the water dog training area.

Phenomenal looking deer property, but maybe once or twice a year, do I ever see deer on it.  It gets hammered mostly during 6 day - lots of different gangs drive it.

The best chance to have any shot of decent bowhunting would be late October leading up to before Small Game opens - from that point until 6 day - all the fields and first several hundred yards of woods are scoured daily by hunters and bird dogs, so what few deer live on Whittingham, get pushed out to private lands or just in very deep into the heart of the WMA far enough from the small game hunters.  Last season, I did some "in deep" scouting of the interior sections, and never saw so much available browse and acorns. What was missing were rubs, scrapes, trails, and scat.  

I hunt a lot of private land surrounding Whittingham, and the deer numbers (especially doe) are way down from where they were 10 years ago.

To cut to the chase - I could practically walk there to hunt deer and you couldn't pay me to.

sounds like its time to look elsewhere, thank you for the no BS asessment   

I passed whittlingham parking lot on Sunday last week. 13 trucks there, and all were baiting For Bear. Corn bags and 5 gallon buckets packed in the backs. Bear season negates a quality hunt and as soon as small game opens in Nov any reasonable hunting experience is done.

out of all the state land I think you chose the worst one possibly. south jersey seems to hold more deer now. if you go before gun season you will brobably have it to your self. 5 to 10 years ago I would of said the opposite and said stay north

We have talked to the conservation officer for the area already, just curious if its another public land spot that's hammered to death, we live in new Hampshire where the deer hunting is terrible, like to have some fun bow hunting is all.

I'm heading up to Pittsburg, NH in Nov to walk around in search of deer.  I feel you pain.  It's more of a hiking trip than deer hunting.  The moose population is also down, they've moved into Canada and ME.  One theory I heard was because of the ticks.  It was causing high mortality on the calves and spreading disease.  Warm winters to blame.

I grew up in Nashua.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

out of all the state land I think you chose the worst one possibly. south jersey seems to hold more deer now. if you go before gun season you will brobably have it to your self. 5 to 10 years ago I would of said the opposite and said stay north

I think you mean central Jersey, South Jersey deer numbers are pretty low, and hunter numbers very high.  Seems like the central counties have the best deer hunting, although, I read all the time how no one is hunting these public lands up north. Can read it here, and other sites...no one out during bow season, not hearing any shots during gun season, plenty of deer on public lands, and some guys also post up some pretty big bucks they 'claim' came from public land up north. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.