IGNORED

Tommy D and his sea bass report

Scrubby rack buck

So sorry for your bad experience. I grew up with the Bogans and some of them are very harsh. I use to work on the Gambler as a kid & always ran with Capt. Rich & Capt Bobby..who are great people. Its a shame they all cant be as nice as them. Luckily you have other boats to choose from. Again, sorry for your bad experience.

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For clarification, Mr. Daly's post on the other site was VERY different from the post on here (and was made within hours of the boat sailing) . As was proven from both a copy of the reservation sheet being booked, info directly from the captain AS WELL AS one of the customers own report from the trip in question (that Mr. Daly did not sail on) there were in fact only 50 passengers on board the boat, not even the 55 as advertised.

Mr. Daly stated that there were "Closer to 100 people" (that is a direct quote) on board as opposed to the 55 advertised. He later revised his original statement to say "closer" meant around 70+ (being between the 55 allowed and his estimate of 100)

Mr. Daly, after being told of the actual passenger count, also posted later he would like to hear from someone else on the boat as to the number of people and space on board. He did, and yet never commented again or even in that persons report.

The link to the fisherman's report is below, as long as it is not against this sites rules to post outside links. If so, you know where to go to look for it.

http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56285

Mr. Daly managed to call, leave a message, send a PM on the "other" site, send an e-mail and then talk to the captain to reserve his spot. However, Mr. Daly's only action after that was a post on an internet site with a gross exaggeration of the supposed issue (too many people on board when in fact the trip was not sold out) He did not attempt to verify how many people on board, he did not contact the captain, send an e-mail, a pm, a carrier pigeon, nothing. Instead of speaking to the captain or even verifying his assumptions he simply posted a grossly exaggerated comment on an internet site.

I will not waste time going into this issue again. I do not know Mr. Daly. I do know he needs to work on his estimation skills just a tad. Had he actually thought there were that many people on board he could have simply counted them at roll call when everyone is taken off the boat and called back on in the order of their reservation, which would have happened with 15 minutes or so of Mr. Daly's departure from the basin.

I can see looking at 50 people and thinking it was 60. That is a simple over estimation. But to have 50 passengers on a boat and claim publicly that it was "closer to 100" is just ridiculous. And the 50 number has been verified by an independent third party, namely passengers that fished the same trip.

Have a good day and I will not belabor this topic any further, it has already been proven that the Mr. Daly's comments to the overbooking of the trip were wrong, which is why the thread was deleted. It was up for 18 HOURS on the other site and was left until it was proven to be incorrect.

CaptTB,

Thanks for coming by and offering your side of the story!

I can only speak for myself, as I wasn't there obviously, and can't comment on who was on board number wise, but I'd like to ask a fair question...one that I don't believe I've seen asked here or on NJFishing.com.

Is it possible there were others on board that weren't paying customers, that could have contributed to the misunderstanding and variance in counting? I'm assuming the 50-55 limitation is paying customers only? Does that account for any non-paying customers (friends, working mates, non-working but fishing mates, family, etc), or other crew that may have been on the boat but not part of that count/sheet?

Obviously the difference between 50 and 100 is significant, but that *could* account for a little variance that hasn't been discussed up to this point? I know from my years of working on the boats that non-paying customers do come on from time to time for various reasons as detailed above...which can be a good thing (to help increase catch numbers, vamp up business and customer morale, etc) within reasonable measures (when it isn't overloading the boat and encroaching on paying customers). Not saying that *is* what happened here, only asking...but the term of "paying customers" is exactly and *only* that...the paying customers (and no one else).

Again, thank you for coming by, sharing your side, and keeping things civil in the discussion. I know the other thread got pretty heated on NJFishing.com, so lets all try to keep it from heading in that direction here!

You cant even disagree with someones line choice on that site. Any argument over there is going 10 pages easy. I met and like the owner but some of the guys on there are just so arrogant i wont even engage in a conversation over there. Very informative site though.

CaptTB' date='

Thanks for coming by and offering your side of the story!

I can only speak for myself, as I wasn't there obviously, and can't comment on who was on board number wise, but I'd like to ask a fair question...one that I don't believe I've seen asked here or on NJFishing.com.

Is it possible there were others on board that weren't paying customers, that could have contributed to the misunderstanding and variance in counting? I'm assuming the 50-55 limitation is paying customers only? Does that account for any non-paying customers (friends, working mates, non-working but fishing mates, family, etc), or other crew that may have been on the boat but not part of that count/sheet?[/quote'] No, there were not riders or freebies on board (sometimes Erik, Howard's son will fish or a mate that does not work as you said, hence the reason we call them freebies) and all the crew he had scheduled for the trip worked the trip. Not counting the two captains and crew there were 50 passengers on board total.

Again, thank you for coming by, sharing your side, and keeping things civil in the discussion. I know the other thread got pretty heated on NJFishing.com, so lets all try to keep it from heading in that direction here!

Thanks for asking the question.

Tom, I knew that's what happened before I read your story!I definitely can picture the mayhem!Next time take A picture,not that it will change there policy,jersey s*ck's! The captain is under pressure from the owner,the owner is under pressure to pay the,bill's fuel/mates/docking,NJ tax's etc.and the poor guy trying to have a nice fishn trip,get's treated like a sardine!That's why I stopped going on head boat's a long time ago!I don't have a boat anymore,I go strrictly on friend's or private charter's,there's other boat's I,m sure you will find enjoyable,I already knew that's not the one,lookin forward to your future post's of good trip's! :popcorn:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Tom' date=' I knew that's what happened before I read your story!I definitely can picture the mayhem!Next time take A picture,not that it will change there policy,jersey s*ck's! The captain is under pressure from the owner,the owner is under pressure to pay the,bill's fuel/mates/docking,NJ tax's etc.and the poor guy trying to have a nice fishn trip,get's treated like a sardine!That's why I stopped going on head boat's a long time ago!I don't have a boat anymore,I go strrictly on friend's or private charter's,there's other boat's I,m sure you will find enjoyable,I already knew that's not the one,lookin forward to your future post's of good trip's! :popcorn:

[/quote']

Perhaps that does happen. Except in this case there were less people on board than the max taken for the trip (55) plus the captain is the owner and only has whatever pressure he puts on himself.

The number quoted by Mr. Daly was double what was actually on board as was verified by other passengers on the trip. By Mr. Daly's own admission he did not even count the people or even attempt to count them (his words) so in truth he had no idea how many people were on board. If it helps put anyone's mind at ease, feel free to stop by our office any time (call first to make sure I will be there or working on the dock) and I will gladly show you the actual trip sheet from the boat with the people names and monies as they were filled in on the actual boat that night (not just the reservation book from the ofice) and will gladly call other customers that were on the trip if you like. The simple fact of the matter is that the numbers bandied about by Mr. Daly of passenger count were not accurate, not by a long shot. Mr. Daly's comments and posts have also changed their focus as time has gone on, mentioning things here now that were never mentioned before and downplaying (and even removing) the primary focus of his original post.

That, however, does not change the fact that had he fished the trip he would have had 5 foot of rail space per person to fish, not packed in like sardines or shoulder to shoulder or any such nonsense.

It is too bad you have been soured to partyboat fishing, to each his own.

How about the smoking in the cabin' date=' you seem to avoid this topic in every thread???

[/quote']

Actually I responded THREE different times to that in TWO different threads.

As originally stated (and at least two more times) I was not at the boat before it sailed so I could not respond to something I did not witness. (again, I stated this very fact more than once)

However, I immediately contacted Howard to find out a) how many people were on the boat since last count when i had spoken to him about an hour before the trip sailed it was 51 and B) to find out what crew member was behind the bar prior to the trip and was smoking.

The crew was (as I suggested Howard to do) given a verbal ass reaming and the crew was told in no uncertain terms that if any crew are smoking in the cabin they are history. As to a customer smoking I have no idea since again, I was not there. However, not a single complaint was made by anyone on board. I have no doubt a customer may have lit up in the cabin. Typically all it takes is asking them to go outside and not smoke in the cabin or for a crew member to tell them they cannot smoke in the cabin.

I can honestly say anytime I have heard of this on any boat the typical response is what I just stated, not leaving the boat without actually saying anything to anyone.

Please let's try to be factual. I have not avoided this subject as you claim and my initial response has been in more than one thread.

Mr. Daly mentioned smoking as an aside in his initial post, and embellished even that comment in this one compared to the original.

I focused on his gross exaggeration of passengers on board since that was what he started his original post with and because, as I stated to him more than once in the original thread, because I was not at the boat and could not verify someone smoking but promised I would find out.

Mr. Daly posted here after already seeing both copies of the reservation book (clearly showing the names stopped in the low 40's) as well as a post from a customer who was on the trip (as he had stated he wanted to see, but never responded to) and did not even put the correct info up. he was responded to long before the vessel ever returned to the dock (unlike what he claims here) and it was posted numerous times that i was in contact with the boat, when it would dock (hours after my initial response to him) etc.

i can only guess he was peaved about getting down and being one of the last people down instead of one of the earlier ones, and in his disappointment got carried away with his descriptions of what transpired. Often people when they are upset or disappointed will simply react without thinking. Dealing with the public my entire life I have seen it before.

Even a legitimate complaint can be taken to a ridiculous level when tempers flare. that is why people will usually speak to the person in charge first to try and get things straightened out.

too bad he did not simply talk to the captain right there at the dock or at least attempt to support his claims of the number of passengers on board.

As already stated, anyone, including Mr. Daly, are welcome to come down, see the actual list right off the boat from that day along with speaking to other people that were actually on the boat that night.

I have nothing to hide and have not posted ANYTHING that is not 100% verifiable.

Ok then' date=' Tom's a huge lier, I go it, thanks..... :cheers:

Only thing is I know better.:acclaim:

So did I say someone was not smoking? Nope. It is entirely possible. As to the number of people onboard Mr. Daly himself stated that he did not even attempt to count the number of people on board, whereas I have provided proof as has a customer from that very trip. I have also offered the chance for him or anyone else to see and hear for themselves exactly how many people were on board.

Obviously you are his friend or friendly with him so you wish to defend him no matter what, regardless of the facts.

That is admirable. However, it does not change the fact that his biggest issue and the thing he made the biggest stink about (the supposed overcrowding) never actually happened.

Once the trip sailed there would have been even fewer people in the cabin since 16 of them would be down in the bunk room, leaving only 34 people in that big cabin.

I have no illusions about getting Mr. Daly or a friend or acquaintance of his to come back to our boats. However, I will not let a statement stand unchallenged that is not accurate, and Mr. Daly's claims of how many people were on board and that we took more people than advertised is simply not accurate, and that fact is easy to prove (and has been proven already by a third party)