IGNORED

Arrow choice info

Bill from NJ

Seriously, I am seeking expert advice. hence the questions posted below.

I have done much research in looking for answers to my questions. It seems the more I read, and ask of folks, the more confused I get. I fully understand the old adage, ask 10 bowhunters the same question, you will get 12 different answers.

This topic has been beaten to death in different posts thru the years, but….here it is again. Please bear with me.

Brief background information:

R/D Longbow: 45# @ 28"  

Personal draw length: 28"

String: 15 Strand Fast flight plus.(Yes not a typo, it is 15)

Looking to use, dare I use the "C" word here… Carbon.

My choice of Broadhead:Will be using Zwickey; either Delta (170 gr.) -No mercy (165 gr.) -Eskimo (160gr.), 

or Cliff Zwickey (175 gr.)

If using 11 to 12 GPI I should be in the neighborhood of 495 - 540 gr. arrow.

Arrow of choice: I would like to have a low or close to 500gr. arrow as possible.

My needs are: Having complete pass through at best.

Max distance shooting at Deer/Black Bear: 25 yards Max. I personally never shoot at any game past 20 yards.

I have used wood arrows in the past, recently I've thought I would slowly join the 21st century and use carbon arrows this go around.

The carbon arrow market is too damn confusing, hence the hat in hand outreach I am asking here.

I would like to get the best brand arrow possible.  My main priority is durability and quality.

As for using Carbon arrows, have been seriously looking at Easton AXIS Traditional arrows, Easton Traditional Only, and Gold Tip Classic.

I will get a Test Kit first. So, I need your input on arrow brand. I have a collection of field points ranging from 125 thru 300 Gr. to assist me in zeroing in on what flies best.

I am also confused with all of the different arrow weighting set ups there are available. Break off inserts, tube inserts, etc., blah, blah, blah. Any info given on this subject will be appreciated as well.

In the long run I think I might have a light 500 carbon, or a heavy 400 carbon arrow to shoot.

On using the information I supplied above, what would you recommend to me to shoot from my 45# ?

Again, I believe just into the low 500 grain arena, would boost my confidence in knowing I should have clean pass throughs using my broad head selection.

Any and all advice given would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bill from NJ

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

I think you have done enough research. Open up the wallet and start testing and see how things fly. You dropped close to a G on a bow so don't get cheap now. This is only going to be as difficult as you want it to be.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.