IGNORED

My first buck (pix)

SilverHawk94

Here are a couple pics of my first buck from last year (2011). I've passed up tons of deer over the years trying to practice QDM, but finally got lucky to have a nice one come by. I'll always remember this hunt like it was yesterday.

Also, this deer is from NJ public land and I took it while on the ground with no ground blind.

post-324-13664222250245_thumb.jpgpost-324-13664222258707_thumb.jpgpost-324-13664222265443_thumb.jpg

“A free people ought to be armed.†George Washington

“You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.†Admiral Yamamoto

Okay so now that we have made that clear, lets preserve our Country and our Rights.

Guys this is my brother Andy. What he's not telling you is, he passed up deer as a little kid that I would shoot today! LOL I remember when he was 11 years old he passed a giant 12 pointer at like 5 yards just because it was moving. (always been super ethical) I would have been launching arrows like I was in the hunger games, thing would have looked like a pin cushion. LOL

I was hunting the same woods the day Andy shot this buck, as we knew there was a good mature deer in the area that I had an encounter with the year before. A little less than a year prior, I had THIS exact deer at mere steps from me on the ground too, but I couldn't get drawn back without getting busted. Saw him again, but never another chance at him.

This was the first good chance we had to get after this buck in early October the next year.

When Andy shot him, he called me pretty soon after.

He TOTALLY UNDERSOLD the buck numerous times. Kept second-guessing if he should have shot him. Said it was like an average 6 but wasn't sure it was mature. It happened pretty quick,...blah blah blah....He was kicking himself for killing it.

Since he didn't see it go down, and may have heard it crash, we backed out for a while to be absolutely certain.

After a wait, we started tracking but we couldn't find hardly any blood. Some at the spot and a few drops about 40 yards later. After getting into the thicket and still not finding blood and bumping an unidentified deer, we left for the night.

Returning early in the morning, we realize we had actually walked past him in the thicket. He had gone down where he heard the crash. Maybe 80 yards from the shot. There was very little blood because the arrow lodged in the off shoulder and clogged the entry wound with intestines and shaft.

When I first saw it I thought....Wait a minute...He said "SMALL" buck....this thing is pretty dang big! Can't be his! LOL

As I got closer and saw the giant spike....That was when I recognized him from the previous year.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear