username

Transporting a Crossbow in NJ

Are there any laws in NJ pertaining specifically to the transportation of a crossbow?  

Is the crossbow classified as a firearm in NJ? May seem like a silly question.  However, I have hunted in places, outside of NJ, where the crossbows are classified as firearms.  

Following good protocol, I always keep my crossbow in the trunk, decocked, in a case, and seperate from bolts.

However, suppose I am coming home from the Clinton range and feel like stopping at the Diner.  Is there any law against this? 

Is the crossbow classified as a firearm in NJ?

No

suppose I am coming home from the Clinton range and feel like stopping at the Diner.  Is there any law against this? 

No

• Agree 1

I would think you would treat it like a regular (vertical) bow and subject to the same regulations...

I agree, that's one what would reasonably think, when they do not live in NJ. 

Let's not forget that to buy a Daisy Red Ryder in NJ requires the same level of licensure and paperwork as an Ak47 or Barret 50bmg. 

It does not need to be in a case but it cannot be cocked in a car.  

Crossbows are classified as bows and all the same regs apply.  The only additional reg is that you must un-cock the bow when traveling.   

Edited by Rusty
  • Agree 1

What Rusty said.

Can't have it cocked in the vehicle.

Also I might note that Federal properties have different rules. So if you hunt the Water Gap by chance, you do need a case. .

• Agree 2