IGNORED

Gun Safe Recommendations?

BowhunterNJ

So I'm in the process of buying a house (in contract now) and want an upgraded safe with plenty of room to expand my collection.

Thinking along the lines of a 30+ long gun storage with handgun room and personal item room.

Plenty of room in the new place, what would you guys recommend on what to buy and where to buy it from (considering the cost of shipping/delivery/setup)

If you plan on putting one on the second floor this is not a bad choice. http://www.zanottiarmor.com/. The fire proof safes are real heavy so two smaller ones maybe easier to move around. Also if you can put them behind a false wall you will add an additional level of security.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

Very informative video on gun safes, learned a lot watching it...it's a bit long, but worth it to learn about them.

I think the most noticeable difference is in inherent weight difference between the "quality" safes vs the "import" safes due to the amount of actual steel being used.

I was thinking initially like wow, how am I going to move a 400-500lb safe...but when you review this video, and the corresponding safe weights due to the steel content, it's more like how am I going to move this 1000-1500lb+ safe. :eek:

And this is Curt's website (the guy in the video):  http://cesafes.com/

I'll probably be in the market for a safe too. My contract got extended and that means disposable cash for guns. Let me know what you learn, and I'll exchange notes.

I'm considering a big safe for "everything" but also a smaller safe (or two) for a single handgun in easily accessible locations.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I think the fire risk something to consider, but the theft aspect is the greater consideration.

Things I've learned so far:

1) Thieves can break into many of the safes that are out there today fairly easily with minimal tools.

2) Thieves can steal even the heaviest of safes if they are prepared for it.

3) Bolt your safe to the floor or wall to prevent them from just taking the whole thing or being able to knock it over for easier leverage/break in.

4) Wall thickness is not necessarily a measure of "security".  Steel content is.

5) Generally the heavier the safe, the more steel it has and the more secure it is.

6) Consider getting a double measure lock (electronic for convenience, standard dial for back)...mainly because when the zombies come and someone detonates an EMP and it knocks out your electronic lock, you're shit out of luck getting in.

Okay, anyone who detonates an EMP during a zombie attack deserves to be shot, allowed to become a zombie, and then shot again. EMPs have no effect on moaning, drooling, and rotting reanimated corpses. How dare someone take out my TV, radio, and internet connection because of a few zombies.

And make sure you build your panic room on the first or second floor. If you build it in your basement the easiest way to flush you out is to cut the power and throw a garden hose into the basement. Just sayin'...

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

• 4 months later...

Coincidentally, I just had my safe delivered last week!

It's an interesting navigation to get a safe into the basement, so I opted for the Liberty Fatboy.

I wanted to go with the Lincoln which is higher, but wasn't too sure we could squeeze it in, so I went with the Fatboy which is the same safe width just not as high.

I worked with Chris at Liberty Safes NJ, http://www.libertysafesnj.com/

They're located right across the street from where I work, so it worked out well to see models in person.

They also work with Sportsmen Center in Bordentown and provide their safe sales/support.

Guys delivered it, set it up, shimmed it...all good to go! :up:

Here is the model pic from their site.

s9.jpg

64.jpg

Direct Link: Liberty Fatboy

And mine setup in the basement, only scale you can get out of it is the plug on the right :)

Photo Feb 05, 3 27 16 PM.jpg

Real nice safe!

Not sure I need something that big, the little brother of this safe might be more my speed.

Thanks for the links and names. I'll definitely give them a call this week to see if they deliver this far north.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

They'll definitely be able to help you out, just tell them what you're looking for and give them measurements for where you are putting it and moving it through (doors, hallways, etc) and they'll guide you on it.

My next steps will be to build an ammo cabinet and a workbench for cleaning/maintaining the guns. :up: