IGNORED

How many are done with NJH?

IanB21

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine' date=' so why didn't you(mods)lay down the law? I know drag hand tied the hands of the mods but since before the sale an mostly after the site has gone down hill.

[/quote']

Red, just to give you an idea of what went on behind the scenes over there.

We were made to let stuff slide while Kris was in charge, he wanted nearly everything left alone. I remember at least twice trying to remove something that I thought was damaging to our sport and he actually yelled at me for moving the posts, then moved them back. He liked the controversy and that's what made the site so popular. People love drama. He knew that, and that's why NJH thrived and still is with no leadership or moderation.

After he left, (which we still aren't even 100% certain about, though he swears he doesn't own it, yet the info at the bottom still goes back to his company and address).... we were unsure of what we were supposed to do. We posted several messages trying to get answers from the new owner on how they'd like it run. Never a response. Is it still just Kris and he gave up caring and interacting? Maybe. I wouldn't blame him, he worked hard as hell to get that site up and running and got sick of dealing with it. He expressed that to us numerous times. Him wanting to sell it started off as a joke just a few years in. Then it grew into reality.

Finally, the moderator controls were not quite as easy to use there (though there were a few I prefered)....and we had ZERO help from automation because the entire site was hand scripted by Kris.

Add to that a dwindling number of active mods and an out of control amount of traffic and it was a full time job trying to make a dent for the few guys still actively moderating.

Do you know how many people over there had multiple screen names and would :stirring: on one and act serious on another. We tried to control that, but it was beyond what just a few hands could do. About four of us finally got the ability to start banning the multiple accounts right at the end when Kris went radio silent on us.

So you have to understand, for everything you see us do "out there" on the main pages, we are running around doing 100 other things behind the scenes trying to make decisions and take actions on everything. Trying to resolve conflicts between members, banning spammers, etc.

It's not easy and we receive no pay or perks, and are often criticized; we only do this because we're trying to help. It got to the point where members drove me away from NJH. I didn't want to participate anymore. I would find myself just scanning threads and doing my best to moderate a site that I didn't want to participate in anymore. I mean, I'm no different than you or anyone else on here. I want to enjoy a place where we can talk about hunting, share tips, learn things, share stories, laugh with friends, engage in debate, etc.

Anyway, hopefully instead of telling you how much different things can be, we can SHOW you by keeping this site free of the non-sense.

Matt is trying to give us all the tools necessary to do that, so fingers crossed it'll never become the Wild West here.:kissy:

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

The prostaff era killed it for me. Should make the prostaff [please don't use that word here -- BowhunterNJ] pay to post on this site. It seems like when money gets involved things get to competative.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

"Do you know how many people over there had multiple screen names and would on one and act serious on another"

I'm a pretty easy going guy and there are few things that can be said in cyber space that offends or bothers me much.. But, there is nothing IMO that brings a forum down lower than i poster with multiple screen names.. I HATE THAT!!...:pcwhack:.. I've seen it in other forums. And the worst ones will start a thread then carry on a conversation with themselves.. Freakin weirdos man.. like they have multiple personality syndrom or something..:vomit:

But anyway, i'm not one to support many restrictions. But i have to say i TOTALLY agree with keeping posters to one screen name only..THANK YOU!!!!...:clapping::hail:

:D

Do you know how many people over there had multiple screen names and would on one and act serious on another.

I thought you had 2 till a few days ago. :think::D

Anyway, hopefully instead of telling you how much different things can be, we can SHOW you by keeping this site free of the non-sense.
Tks for detailed look behind the scenes.

That site changed fast . to many guys calling each other out.

I still lurk on their. This site is how that one was.

D-D... Nothing like a warm barrel.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

I first found njh from a Google search on the FID card when I was first applying for one. I've learned a lot from there since I had just started hunting at that time. I've gotten in the habit of checking it everyday, and on my phone a lot when there's downtime at work. However, I joined here yesterday and have been more interested in this site. Its cool to be part of the beginning. I'm enjoying the new site and the ease of personalization. I didn't ever have an avatar or signature over there in the 5 years I was a member lol.

Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness