IGNORED

hunter ed list is out

Looks like they are changing things as they mention a new FIREARMS course and also state that the FIREARMS course is required to buy your first firearm hunting license and NJ Rifle Permit (meaning you can get both when you complete the FIREARMS course)...at least that's how I read that.  The new course covers all firearms now.

FIREARMS - This course is required before purchasing your first firearm hunting license and a NJ Rifle Permit. The course covers shotgun, modern rifles, muzzleloaders and air guns. You must be at least 10 years of age. (NOTE: The new FIREARMS course is listed as SHOTGUN on the schedule and registration pages.)

Link:  http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hunted.htm

Anyone know yet if they plan to grandfather in those that only took either rifle or shotgun, but not both?  Meaning that they would not have to take another course if they plan to hunt with weapons they hadn't taken a previous course on.  Just curious.  I took the courses long ago, so it doesn't impact me, but I was wondering how they'd move forward on that. 

I'm pretty sure when I took it, you had to take firearm (shotgun) first and only after getting it you could take rifle (for the permit).

So I don't think you could get rifle without shotgun, no?

Right, but what if you never took rifle?  You only had taken shotgun.  I guess I'm not clear on how they'll handle that if you now want to rifle hunt but only took shotgun in the past.

I called trenton this morning and the women I spoke to said. If you already have a firearm license you dont need to take the permit test. Just go to your local licencing agent show them your firearm license and get your permit..no testing being done for the rifle permit..it now falls under the same category as firearm

shoot more and shoot more often :elch:

I called trenton this morning and the women I spoke to said. If you already have a firearm license you dont need to take the permit test. Just go to your local licencing agent show them your firearm license and get your permit..no testing being done for the rifle permit..it now falls under the same category as firearm

Good info.  Pretty much the only fair thing.  I laugh because I took the NJ hunter ed test for shotgun in 1975 and by '78 I was rifle hunting in PA.  I have since rifle hunted PA every year since as well as numerous other states here and there (MO, VT, NY, etc.) and only took my NJ rifle test about 3 1/2 years ago.  We learned firearm safety long before we took our hunter ed tests and our dads taught us about all weapon types and how they functioned, or at least that was my growing up.  So it all makes perfect sense to add rifles and muzzleloaders to shotgun and combine them while leaving archery separate.   And to grandfather in those that might not have taken rifle testing in the past but otherwise successfully passed shotgun hunter ed.  And newbies of all ages now take a combined gun course going forward.