Sign in to follow this  
BHC

Maine Moose Lottery/Bonus Points

Sometime this week Maine will have the Moose Lottery and Bonus Points on-line.  Last year I purchased a point I will buy a few this year, hoping to have enough so I can go on a moose hunt in 2021 the year I retire

5 members of my family are in the lottery.  Have drawn two permits since 1995. I always wait for the drawing in June before planning any hunts, because if I get drawn that's my big trip.  Also, put in for N.H..

The Moose lottery in up!  Just applied, have 46 chances with bonus points. 

• Agree 1

I was looking into doing a bow hunt for moose a bit too since I have family in NH that have hunted and harvested moose. It's not as up there on my list as my elk hunt was, but it still seems cool....After some research I decided I wouldn't bother with any of the lower 48 moose lotteries. If I ever do it, I would save up for an OTC tag in Alaska, or consider going to Newfoundland.

No one knows what the future holds, so I'm not the type that can plan for 8-10 years in advance. My advice...Start saving now and go as soon as you possibly can. Forget Maine...forget NH, just start putting the money aside and go.

I was looking into doing a bow hunt for moose a bit too since I have family in NH that have hunted and harvested moose. It's not as up there on my list as my elk hunt was, but it still seems cool....After some research I decided I wouldn't bother with any of the lower 48 moose lotteries. If I ever do it, I would save up for an OTC tag in Alaska, or consider going to Newfoundland.

No one knows what the future holds, so I'm not the type that can plan for 8-10 years in advance. My advice...Start saving now and go as soon as you possibly can. Forget Maine...forget NH, just start putting the money aside and go.

You could also just buy 1 chance at  $15 year and go when you get drawn and still save for the Alaska hunt.    It's a really cheap hunt compared to Alaska.  You can DIY for about $1500 or spend $3000 with a guide in Maine.  Looks like you would have a place to stay in NH.  Easy to get the meat home also. 

Edited by Nomad

I got pick in something like 5 years. I usually put in for 10 chances under the old system. If you want to bow hunt go with the first season.