IGNORED

Wildcat WMA and Rockaway WMA

Me and a buddy are looking to expand our hunting range beyond Haskell and what used to be the Wanaque WMA (don't get me started...). We were considering Wildcat and Rockaway. Has anyone hunted these areas and can you offer any tips/suggestions?

We're not looking to encroach on someone else's spot, but after looking at the WMA maps on the division's site, it's a unique area to hunt. Lots of hills, non-contiguous areas, and houses all over the place.

Just trying to see if there's deer in there, and we'll put the work into finding them...hopefully not in someone's back yard.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

What happen to the Wanaque WMA?

It is no longer a WMA. It's part of Ringwood State Park. Therefore we cannot bow hunt on Sundays, etc.

This happened years ago and I was unaware of it. They took WMA land, purchased with hunter funds for hunting, and gave it away. For new we can still hunt it, but I don't trust the liberal scum in this state to continue with that. I am also pissed off that the state park or Ringwood or whomever made the decision to non-WMA it didn't pony up the cash to reimburse the WMA funds.

There are NO WMAs in zone 3 or in Passaic County as a result. I can't believe I didn't know this was happening and cannot get a decent history on the decision. Probably happened behind closed doors.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Haskell, WCR is tough hunting, but, productive tough hunting. You get the regular WMA "parking lot hunters", but if you get off the beaten path, they are there, and they are big. I have access to the back side of the property from my house, where most people don't venture.

I have yet to see a deer off the hoof that doesn't have beaten up pads on the hooves from "mountain climbing"

I haven't been to Rockaway myself.

I'm up for a hike if you're interested this summer.