Sign in to follow this  
Rusty

Accidental kills in zone 3?

I took a hike in the Watershed today and found 2 dead 4 pointers. They were both far from any road so it is not likely that they were hit by cars. One was only 75 yards from a treestand.

How many sub-legal bucks do you think are accidentally killed in zones with the 3-point restriction and then left for the coyotes?

4pointer2_zps4bba4283.jpg

4pointer1_zpsc93be296.jpg

killed yes, thats no accident.
Very true. Let's call them illegal kills instead.

It's one of the negatives with ARs for sure. I've seen it for years now in PA. One of my buddies shot a buck this year and luckily it was a nice 8. But what bothered me is he said it was too dark to know for sure and he figured it was "big enough". I would not have been very cordial to him if it wasn't legal and he shot without knowing 100% if it was or not.

lets be honest guys only way three points works if its state wide...............

This happens in PA as I said and that state has state-wide ARs (3/side in most with some areas 4/side). It's like anything else, you have your ethical hunters and your non-ethical hunters. Some guys are going to pull the trigger if they see antlers and hope the buck is legal when it falls. Not ethical.

I don't see how the APR would cause something like this. If the law states 3 pts on one side, then it is up to that hunter to be sure of the target, so.... accidental -- absolutely not. However, I could see a young or new hunter making the mistake of shooting first and checking points later in the heat of the moment. In any case, not an excuse.

yes you right but when its 3 points in only certain zones how easy is it to shoot a deer and just check it in another zone , and now with the call in check lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I don't see how the APR would cause something like this. If the law states 3 pts on one side, then it is up to that hunter to be sure of the target

Like Bucksnbows said . . . . .

One of my buddies shot a buck this year and luckily it was a nice 8. But what bothered me is he said it was too dark to know for sure and he figured it was "big enough".

It's like anything else, you have your ethical hunters and your non-ethical hunters. Some guys are going to pull the trigger if they see antlers and hope the buck is legal when it falls.

I know a bunch of guys that have this attitude. They shoot first and count points later. And it's guys in their 40s, 50s and 60s, that have been hunting a long time. It's not the young hunters, they tend to be the more responsible ones.

I could see a young or new hunter making the mistake of shooting first and checking points later in the heat of the moment.