IGNORED

Member feedback, what would you like to see on the site?

BowhunterNJ

Ok, I have a minor suggestion.  When I load the website's main page, I have to click a link to log in.  On a phone, that is a real PIA.  The link to log in should be replaced with a text box for your username and another for your password.  It is a small change, but would make logging in one less step on a cell/tablet device.

Also:

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

m3X6lzE.gif

Edited by MackofallTrades

- Mack

Mack, have you tried the remember login checkbox so it automatically logs you in? Much easier than logging in every time

I also have FB connect to allow users to connect via their FB account. I can add others like Google+ and Twitter but not sure if anyone is interested in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mack, have you tried the remember login checkbox so it automatically logs you in? Much easier than logging in every time

I also have FB connect to allow users to connect via their FB account. I can add others like Google+ and Twitter but not sure if anyone is interested in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have all my browsers set to private browsing, so I have to log in every time anyway.  That is my issue at home.  However, the network settings at work force me to log in every time as well.  It really isn't a big deal, but thought I would mention is.  Most of the time I use a tapatalk variant on my phone so it isn't an issue.

- Mack

I would like to see alerts at the top asking to contact your rep or congress etc when an important bill comes up for vote or is proposed.

Also, a recall section for when equipment is recalled.

Can we do polling in threads?

ALSO.. like the post above me. I know it will be a big topic because of past discussions regarding deer management.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

Id like to see more wildlife biology posts with a focus on Antler Restrictions and herd Reduction that's going on in several parts of Jersey.

Well, we need some wildlife biologists :)

I can try to see if I can find a good source of info, maybe QDMA and stream an RSS feed into blog, so we can read their entries/input on herd management?

Or do you know of a source that has good info?

The best source I have right now is what comes from the NJDFW, I set up a blog here that streams their Latest News directly to this site so we can be aware of it as soon as it's posted.

I would like to see alerts at the top asking to contact your rep or congress etc when an important bill comes up for vote or is proposed.

Also, a recall section for when equipment is recalled.

Can we do polling in threads?

ALSO.. like the post above me. I know it will be a big topic because of past discussions regarding deer management.

What's a good source for the bills and knowing when to issue the alerts?

Good idea on equipment recalls!

Yes we can do polling in threads, the poll option is on the right side (Manage Poll) when creating topic.

I have the ability to add advertisements, and I've pitched the site to a number of businesses, but the reality is...they don't have the upside of a "return" without the traffic here. I've even offered free listings for businesses and sponsors in an effort to help give them free promotion to build the site, i.e. there is zero downside for them. This is another medium for them to promote their business for free, but for some I guess it's not worth the hassle. But there are other sponsors on here that are active and posting, you'll recognize they are sponsors by their blue colored member names (i.e.  NJWAW Sponsors)

I've also looked towards adding banners, and other advertisements, but again, without traffic, it's difficult to "earn" through those and sometimes they are more of a turnoff/eye sore than they are worth. Ideally, I'd really like to give back to the membership here by putting any revenue generated into something like a monthly drawing for prizes. I may still do a drawing at some point, but it will be money out of my pocket to do it (i.e. not money generated from this site).

Ultimately it all takes traffic for things to "work" here, and that takes members promoting the site and helping to build it up by getting involved and active in posting content. Many here have done an outstanding job in that respect, it just takes more members. Hopefully with enough time we will get there, but definitely keep spreading the word! I think this site has a lot of upside with a genuine interest in helping the outdoorsmen and women of this state.

Personally, I don't look at this site as a "money maker", in fact it's quite the opposite right now, but that's OK. The biggest objective is to give you guys a place to get useful information, socialize, build friendships, and share some new experiences. If at some point, I can find a way to effectively monetize things, well then I have a lot of ideas around it to help give back to those that help build the site.

And just as this thread is intended to discover, I'm always here to try and find ways to improve the site for you guys! :up:

I've tried to get a few people to join but they not just into forums. i keep my eye on who visits the site n there are few good ones that visit  for some reason don't post . you can be part of more than 1.   i have accounts on NJH n AT  what's the big deal ? :banghead:

Edited by Hatchet

You add camo to anything, it immediately becomes cool.

By advertising, I was thinking of something along the lines of placing an ad in the NJ fish and game digest or sport section of the SL where the party boats advertise.  I suspect that the cost of a newspaper ad would be prohibitive.  How about printing flyers and distributing them at mom and pop sport shops in exchange for letting them be a sponsor here?   I'm just thinking out loud here

Joe, I got ya, good ideas.  I'll put an ad in the NJDFW Digest for sure.  I can look at newspaper advertisements as well, but like you said, it's probably prohibitive.  Flyers would be a good idea and making up some business cards and just placing them in any outdoor related store that is willing to support the site. :up:

Isn't there a google package or something that will assit in search engine ratings etc..

Although I think Google may have some anti issues.

How about a cool comic strip like this one?

http://ftf-comics.com/

Edited by thefirstndsecond

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

Google has issues with anything involving guns per their User Agreement (when I last read it).

Search rankings are all dependent on Google's own algorithm, which evolves over time.

Everything will drive towards content validity more and more, so all of the sites that just keyword and spam to trick search engines into ranking them will get driven out of search results.

Google and others want to have the best search engine available, which means, when users search for terms, the results should always have related content, not a bunch of popup explosions, false or misdirected advertisements, etc.

So again, it's all about building content, and ideally unique content (the same content on multiple sites doesn't individually benefit any of them).

That takes time and member involvement, and with that comes great site validity in search engines, which turns into higher page ranking.

The days of "SEO experts" charging big money to trick out search engines for clients' sites is going to evaporate IMO, without question if you don't have the content to backup your site's ranking on a given search term.

What's the comic about?