IGNORED

Freight from Outfitters for your Harvest

For those who have harvested any kind of animal, whether big or small, how much was your freight to ship it back here to NJ? UPS/FedEx? Meat plus mount/cap. Just trying to figure out some numbers so I can be prepared if I book a hunt this year in Idaho and harvest an Elk.

Edited by NJ Predator

Lots of options on this. Budget $1k worst case but here is what I do.

On Delta they hit you for $150 to bring antlers, they need to be cleaned and protected. I rolled my cape up and froze it and threw it in my duffel. You will end up with about 350 lbs of meat so do the math on the boxes.

The outfitter will push his taxidermist services on you. Don’t fall for it. Use your local guy so you know what you are getting into. Try curb side check in and have a few lbs of meat in your backpack. Sometimes I have had luck with the curbside guys and didn’t have to pay extra for the baggage by forking over a little meat.

I have flown back from with Elk and antlers 5 different times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

back in 1997 I went on a Archery bear hunt in NB, Canada had the taxidermist up there do the work, he shipped from Houlton, Maine to save me international rate, he sent it by Trucking Freight and they have a location in Kearny......I went and picked it up myself, and I remember I got a small discount for that, I remember it was around $100 with discount

I agree with first post. Budget for worst case so you’re prepared and hope it’s less. I’ve never shipped meat home through the mail before all of my stuff comes home with me on the plane. The best piece of advice I got was from a butcher down in Florida. He said if you’re taking meat home on a plane go to Walmart and buy the cheapest coolers you can find, pack everything in there and put that on the plane. When you get home you have your harvest and a bonus cooler on the spot. That’s how I do it. 

I agree with first post. Budget for worst case so you’re prepared and hope it’s less. I’ve never shipped meat home through the mail before all of my stuff comes home with me on the plane. The best piece of advice I got was from a butcher down in Florida. He said if you’re taking meat home on a plane go to Walmart and buy the cheapest coolers you can find, pack everything in there and put that on the plane. When you get home you have your harvest and a bonus cooler on the spot. That’s how I do it. 

When I fly from Jackson Wy I just use plain boxes from the butcher and it last just fine. When coming from Mexico or Alaska I use wetlock..

On my last Elk trip to Utah I packed the meat in a cooler layered with dry ice and cardboard. Then filled all the air gaps with clothing. Duct taped the lid of the cooler to make as air tight as possible. When I got back to NJ three days later, the butcher had to wait until some of the meat thawed before processing!

On my last Elk trip to Utah I packed the meat in a cooler layered with dry ice and cardboard. Then filled all the air gaps with clothing. Duct taped the lid of the cooler to make as air tight as possible. When I got back to NJ three days later, the butcher had to wait until some of the meat thawed before processing!

Next time you use dry ice open the vent on your cooler. Dry ice needs expansion and can create a very dangerous situation if not. Also when transporting in a car you need to open the window to every now and then.

1 hour ago, tjfslaughter said:

When I fly from Jackson Wy I just use plain boxes from the butcher and it last just fine. When coming from Mexico or Alaska I use wetlock..

Do you check in 6 or 7 boxes? Each has to be 50 pounds right?

9 hours ago, birdshotnj said:

Do you check in 6 or 7 boxes? Each has to be 50 pounds right?

Yes.  My big Elk was 502 lbs with the boned quarters and ribs.  The net was 350 lbs.  With Delta and the Delta card I am allowed 3 checked bags free and who ever is flying with me they get the same privilege.  I have my wife come out at the end of trips to spend time with her.  I usually have my gun case, duffel bag, and the 6 boxes.  If you fly out with an empty carry on you can convert that to a cooler as well.  I line it with insulating bubble wrap and can cram about 60 lbs into the carry on.  Just don't leave the antlers and cape with a taxidermist that you have no experience with, if you don't believe me I will show you an ugly Muley mount that I paid $600 to mount and $350 to ship to my house.  Shipping antlers on the plane is easy, take pieces of garden house about 2" long and use electrical tape to cover the tips, then wrap with bubble wrap, skull cap it and clean it up as much as possible and wrap the skull cap with an old t-shirt and tape the crap out of it.  Most likely you do not have to split the rack.  My big bull grossed 370" and it didn't need to be split.

10 hours ago, tjfslaughter said:

Next time you use dry ice open the vent on your cooler. Dry ice needs expansion and can create a very dangerous situation if not. Also when transporting in a car you need to open the window to every now and then.

Cooler was vented.

22 hours ago, NJ Predator said:

For those who have harvested any kind of animal, whether big or small, how much was your freight to ship it back here to NJ? UPS/FedEx? Meat plus mount/cap. Just trying to figure out some numbers so I can b? e prepared if I book a hunt this year in Idaho and harvest an Elk.

Where in Idaho?