IGNORED

Site theme update for mobile devices

BowhunterNJ

2 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

OK now I get ads between ads between topics and in the posts :banghead:

These are new to desktop but are the primary ones in the mobile screen.  They are non-intrusive (i.e. don't have to close them or click them to get them out of the way), just scroll on by.  The main one that is considered intrusive and requires user action is the sticky banner at the bottom, which is what was included in the Premium Member subscription as to not require any user action to get rid of an ad that was in the way of content.

3 minutes ago, Kype said:

Not as bad as I thought. Pretty easy to navigate. Not bad. Just the ads are back again. Every other replie on a topic has an add.

Yeah that may have changed since earlier, I just checked that and it looks like after the first post and then every 2 or 3 posts after that, but the lower half doesn't have any.  It may take some time to settle as they determine the best placement for them.

2 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

How come there on no other sites? :hmmmer:

They are, you just may not see them (or notice them more on here because they are new).

Weather sites have ads (https://weather.com/)

News sites have ads (https://www.foxnews.com/  [including video ads])

Youtube has video ads

Facebook has video ads, marketplace ads, embedded wall ads and sponsored ads

Google has ads at the top of every search

It's one of the most common ways to generate some revenue to pay for a site without being overly intrusive on a member's use/experience.  And it all depends on the size and scale of the site.  With popularity (traffic) comes cost.  Ads are the answer to not have the owner incur the cost or to require members to pay for it.  The key is trying to place them such that they aren't in your way and are easy to navigate around.  For the newest ones, it's simply scrolling by.  They aren't popups or moving to get in the way of what you're trying to see.

progress:shock:
We just went through the upgrade of this site and despite the change not really doing anything for me I had to switch my browser just to view this site.Now this :down:

Ok so I tried two different ways to request the desk top view. I selected "request Desk to view",by the square box with an arrow at the bottom, and I used the hold refresh button which allows you to select desk top view. No change. 

So I’m checking out the update and using the “mobile version” (I think) and I like the features on here that I don’t get from Tapatalk, such as the “reaction” to comments (thumbs up, thumbs down, laughing, confused, etc)... andnits funny because while using Tapatalk I’ve akways said to myself, wow a reaction feature would be great lol :lol:

16 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

progress:shock:
We just went through the upgrade of this site and despite the change not really doing anything for me I had to switch my browser just to view this site.Now this :down:

Ok so I tried two different ways to request the desk top view. I selected "request Desk to view",by the square box with an arrow at the bottom, and I used the hold refresh button which allows you to select desk top view. No change. 

Does the theme selection not work?  I'm confused, what happens when you click Themes?  No dropdown with the options that are shown in the screenshot?

I don't think the request desktop view works.  The responsive theme detects your device and adjusts accordingly.  The desktop theme forces desktop viewing (i.e. ignores devices).

15 minutes ago, Dynamicduojx said:

So I’m checking out the update and using the “mobile version” (I think) and I like the features on here that I don’t get from Tapatalk, such as the “reaction” to comments (thumbs up, thumbs down, laughing, confused, etc)... andnits funny because while using Tapatalk I’ve akways said to myself, wow a reaction feature would be great lol :lol:

Yes, that's one shortcoming of Tapatalk as well.  They have their own "like" system that doesn't integrate with the reactions here.  And like you said, it is also forums only, so you can't see the rest of the site pages from Tapatalk, only its forums.

11 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Does the theme selection not work?  I'm confused, what happens when you click Themes?  No dropdown with the options that are shown in the screenshot?

I don't think the request desktop view works.  The responsive theme detects your device and adjusts accordingly.  The desktop theme forces desktop viewing (i.e. ignores devices).

Wouldn't this be easier if it didn't force us to go through zillion steps just to remain as is and make people who want change go through it?
I don't see any "themes options" I see "Request Desktop Site"

F4DC3FE2-5F22-41C2-9749-4A5ADFD4BD11.png

Edited by Lunatic

Yes, that's one shortcoming of Tapatalk as well.  They have their own "like" system that doesn't integrate with the reactions here.  And like you said, it is also forums only, so you can't see the rest of the site pages from Tapatalk, only its forums.

What do ya mean by the “other site pages”? I looked around in the browser but I’m not really sure what you mean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Wouldn't this be easier if it didn't force us to go through zillion steps just to remain as is and make people who want change go through it?
I don't see any "themes options" I see "Request Desktop Site"

F4DC3FE2-5F22-41C2-9749-4A5ADFD4BD11.png

Lunatic, that is a phone menu not this site.  At the bottom of this site you will see a Theme link with a little downward triangle.  Click that and you will see a dropdown menu to select the theme you would like.  Here is the image of what it looks like at the bottom of this site's page just below the site sponsor banner ads

themes.png

3 minutes ago, Dynamicduojx said:

What do ya mean by the “other site pages”? I looked around in the browser but I’m not really sure what you mean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The links to other pages like Contests, Leaderboard, Hunting Resources, Mapping Tools, etc that you see in the menu (the three hash marks that look like a hamburger on mobile OR the top menu going across the page from left to right on desktop)