IGNORED

Braid to Mono knots

hammer4reel

1 hour ago, mikejd said:

I agree. I have only had my alberto knot fail one time and I know that was my fault. But I do not tuna fish so for anything I do its more then sufficient.

agree - it's not the albright special I use, it's the alberto. I think the difference is you wrap "down" the leader loop then over-wrap back to the exit hole... Moisten and cinch...  Tied up in a minute.   I am going to get my scale and do some tests of it. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I also think adding UV Knot Sense to the knot, would help.   Adds strength, prevents slippage, and smooths out the knot more for casting and avoids catching grass.  I don't use it here, but I did last time I was redfishing the grass flats in hatteras with gold weedless spoons.  If you used the KNOT SENSE - the grass didn't hang up on your braid to floro connection. 

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/loon-outdoors-uv-knot-sense?utm_source=google_base&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=gbase_feed&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxvj7x53X3wIVg1uGCh0VCgzMEAQYASABEgIFIPD_BwE

I shot a big 10pt once….

Good topic. I think a lot is dependent on two things as to the strength. Many tie a knot but don’t pay attention to how the knot cinches down, a simple jump of one wrap over another affects strength immensely. The other is if that knot goes back and forth through the guides, can wreak havoc on a knot. I don’t know how many of you are aware of the product since it is used mostly by fly fisherman using light tippets and knots that run through the guides. UV Knot sense is an incredible product, strengthens knots and protects them from guide contact. I have noticed a huge difference applying to knots, especially lines of different diameters

Sent via carrier pigeon

AWM

1 minute ago, maximus66 said:

Good topic. I think a lot is dependent on two things as to the strength. Many tie a knot but don’t pay attention to how the knot cinches down, a simple jump of one wrap over another affects strength immensely. The other is if that knot goes back and forth through the guides, can wreak havoc on a knot. I don’t know how many of you are aware of the product since it is used mostly by fly fisherman using light tippets and knots that run through the guides. UV Knot sense is an incredible product, strengthens knots and protects them from guide contact. I have noticed a huge difference applying to knots, especially lines of different diameters

Sent via carrier pigeon

Great minds think alike - I just posted about KNOT SENSE just before you did. 

I am confident that a well-tied ALBERTO with KNOT SENSE, would be sufficient for most applications. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Great minds think alike - I just posted about KNOT SENSE just before you did. 

I am confident that a well-tied ALBERTO with KNOT SENSE, would be sufficient for most applications. 

Alberto is one of the lowest strength  knots of the common knots used  tied perfect it's less than 50%,

Even a surgeon's knot is better .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Just now, hammer4reel said:

Alberto is one of the lowest strength  knots of the common knots used  tied perfect it's less than 50%,

I am lazy what can I say...    I will be connecting braid to leader with a SWIVEL when I land the world record FLUKE on the REEL MUSIC this year....

I shot a big 10pt once….

Just now, JHbowhunter said:

I am lazy what can I say...    I will be connecting braid to leader with a SWIVEL when I land the world record FLUKE on the REEL MUSIC this year....

If you get to fish real sticky stuff you will see differences  in knots.  Snag and lose whole too shot.  

Tie better knot . Will still have top shot and possibly get your bucktail back.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

If you get to fish real sticky stuff you will see differences  in knots.  Snag and lose whole too shot.  

Tie better knot . Will still have top shot and possibly get your bucktail back.

so instead of losing 16 bucktails with you maybe only lose 8?    That's like getting a raise in my paycheck. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

I dont really believe that number. When I sock up my alberto and pull as hard as I can my mono always breaks before the knot. I can do it a hundred times in a row and that will be the outcome. Im not trying to start a pissing match use whatever not you have confidence in. Just saying I have only had one Alberto ever fail. And I know that was me. Most often I am tying 65lb braid to 80lb mono for casting off the beach. However I do use it for all applications.

Edited by mikejd

The FG knot as I said was one of my favorites used it in the keys and bahamas with no issues. Even used it on freshwater gear with light lines with no problems then I had a few slip. Wondering if the Knot Sense would make it a better connection. It just seems that with that connection you really need to slow down and make sure everything tightens smoothly. 

As I said I was tog fishing using the Alberto and snapped off a few rigs and never lost the shot line. 50 braid to 50 shot.

21 minutes ago, mikejd said:

I dont really believe that number. When I sock up my alberto and pull as hard as I can my mono always breaks before the knot. I can do it a hundred times in a row and that will be the outcome. Im not trying to start a pissing match use whatever not you have confidence in. Just saying I have only had one Alberto ever fail. And I know that was me. Most often I am tying 65lb braid to 80lb mono for casting off the beach. However I do use it for all applications.

maybe do some of your own research then, as the test numbers are consitant with the outcome test to test.

more than likely the reason your not having an issue is the poundage of the line your using mostly.

there are very few reels locked down that will give you thirty pounds of drag to break 65 pound braid which actually breaks at around 90#.

so your drag would slip well before you break the # braid.

try doing it with the lighter braids guys use fluking etc.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING