IGNORED

Chasing Chinese holdover longtails PART 3

Bonefreak

The light SW wind was set up perfect for this particular field today.  Me n the boy missed an opportunity at this bird......or his twin brother..... last week in a harsh west wind and he flushed way far out in front of the hot trailing setter and we couldn't find him again.

Today we cancelled his flight w 1 shot.  After some mid-season easy misses, my pal reminded me of his shottie advice..."Cover the Bird"!!!  Since then I'm 3 for 3!!  Lol

And as me n Maggie celebrated at the crash landing site, his twin could not hold himself anymore and erupted for another day of freedom as I passed up the shot so me, the boy, n the setter can pursue him another day......n maybe he will even cackle in a few pals n gals by then! 

I saved his crop and gizzard full of seeds, will plant the seeds and ID what vegetation is important to key on.

These late season birds are smart, fun to hunt, are holding in the right cover, and i have yet to come across any other hunters out there.....its like the closest thing I will be to pheasant huntin in South Dakota!!

Really is a shame to see all the WMA farmed out fields devoid of any cover n barren wasteland.....so much wasted potential to keep birds and other wild game holding over in late season (kicked up 3 deer today too).

I wish there was an oversight committee w the NJSFSC to monitor how the Division manages WMA acreage.   I will gladly be the chairman n advise what's needed for good late season cover!!

20190104_121137.jpg

Edited by Bonefreak

Holdover longtails "hangin" with holdover brewskies from Christmas!!  Per wild game chef Hank Shaw, I like to hang my pheasants a few days to up to a week.  

Btw....the non alcoholic St Paulie girl is my father in law's.....cant drink anymore cuz of a stroke. 

20190104_173538.jpg