IGNORED

Baiting VS Non Baiting

MPSR

I generally don't like to impose my preferred methods on others.  So, I'd like to keep it legal. 

I have noted that many other states allow baiting but only on private lands.  If you're hunting private lands and you bait you're not really affecting others too much but on public you are having a more direct impact on other hunters.  Also, I think baiting on public is what leads to many disputes about who gets to hunt where.  A similar approach might be good for NJ too. 

Edited by dlist777

When I hang stands over natural food sites or over travel corridors, I’m the lazy one. I don’t spend any time at all buying and dragging bait to my stand all week long.

I was going to say - I STOPPED baiting because I got lazy :) Dragging 40 pound bags of corn every so many days is WAY too much work for me. In fact, I am moving away from using a climber because THAT is becoming too much work :D 

I've spent my first 4 years of deer hunting dragging bait and carrying in climbers and going up trees - because that's what I saw people doing.

The past year I got my first two deer  by simply walking in with just a bow (or a gun) and a small chair, and sat down next to a blown down tree. Who knew it could be so easy for someone so lazy as me. :loco:

lol yeah i always kinda laugh when people call baiting a  lazy  way to hunt  :shakehead:  my back and legs don't feel lazy same goes for driving when i did it years ago i would lose 15 pounds or more that week, we did drives that are a mile long or more through briars that are 10 ft high and water up to your knees.... you get out of hunting what you put into it wichever way you choose to hunt it always takes a level of skill and work...as for baiting it doesnt matter either way but it helps when deer are laying close to houses and feeding in yards if you can draw the hot doe out into legal hunting areas bucks will follow...this year i hunted my dads standfrom muzzy on that neither my brothers or i have hunted since he passed a few years ago all summer we watched about 40 bucks of all sizes in a field not far away after looking around it was evident the bucks where traveling close to the road coming from a swamp/briar hole so after putting some bait and a couple sits I found that some of them are coming from across the street and laying on private property and feeding at the field traveling about 400 yards.I parked in a friends yard when hunting early on they would talk about seeing deer cross on the side of the house about 100 yards from the field after putting some sugar beets and carrots out they switched and crossed on the other side of the house and down the road by the bait.

As a hunter I hate bait being legal- but I bait, because there are so many bait piles around it feels like if you dont bait the deer are going to be 200 yards away on one of the many other bait piles around.

As a taxidermist I love people can bait.. its great for business. If they made it illegal I'd need a 2nd job lol.

Also- I think if they are made it illegal to hunt over bait you would still have everyone baiting for camera inventory...and you would still have ALOT of guys hunting over bait.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

3 hours ago, Woodsman416 said:

Are you saying that you bait the deer so that no one else can kill them?

I do. Especially during the gun season. Its a strategy that does work to some degree if you have some cover to hold them. 

I also bait in addition to food plots and creating cover and a sanctuary for deer to bed. 

I would love to see the baiting go away. There are people I know that would never kill a deer without the corn pile

www.liftxrentals.com

Whether we like it or not is not relevant, or at least shouldn't be, to keeping it legal or not. Should be what impact it has on the resource. There are pros and cons on that front, but that doesn't matter to the F&G Council either. The revenue is what matters, and if you outlaw baiting, NJ will lose a good number of hunters who don't have the skill or patience to hunt any other way. There is a good percentage of hunters who know no other way to hunt, and have no interest in putting in the time to learn another way, so they will quit. I know this because I know plenty of them, and they have admitted it to me. The Division can't have that. 

Also, the 3 Reps from the Agriculture community on the F&G Council will never vote to outlaw baiting due to the massive revenue source it provides for farmers. Some of the locals around me have admitted it as much as 40% of their business. 

The bigger issue, in my experience, is the driving of public land after 6-day firearm. That is demonstrably bad for the resource, but again, if they stopped that, permit sales would decline quite a bit and they can't have that. It's all about the revenue for them. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

1 hour ago, DV1 said:

Whether we like it or not is not relevant, or at least shouldn't be, to keeping it legal or not. Should be what impact it has on the resource. There are pros and cons on that front, but that doesn't matter to the F&G Council either. The revenue is what matters, and if you outlaw baiting, NJ will lose a good number of hunters who don't have the skill or patience to hunt any other way. There is a good percentage of hunters who know no other way to hunt, and have no interest in putting in the time to learn another way, so they will quit. I know this because I know plenty of them, and they have admitted it to me. The Division can't have that. 

Also, the 3 Reps from the Agriculture community on the F&G Council will never vote to outlaw baiting due to the massive revenue source it provides for farmers. Some of the locals around me have admitted it as much as 40% of their business. 

The bigger issue, in my experience, is the driving of public land after 6-day firearm. That is demonstrably bad for the resource, but again, if they stopped that, permit sales would decline quite a bit and they can't have that. It's all about the revenue for them. 

Farmers shoot the deer at night and then almost double their profits from selling corn to hunters during the day. 

www.liftxrentals.com

I haven't deer hunted in NJ for a very long time.  Just not worth the hassle to me.   Too many hunters.  But that is just me.  I can remember going bowhunting on any given Saturday in October at  Clinton WMA and not seeing another soul in the woods...all day.   Them days are gone.

However, I do chuckle  when I think of all the things that used to be ILLEGAL or UNETHICAL  back when I was hunting...that are now perfectly legal and acceptable .   I particularly laugh about the current regulations which permit muzzleloaders and slugs today, because...forty years ago they were banned because the state was too populated and they were a safety hazard.

Somehow I don't think there are less folks living in NJ than there were 40 years ago, but what do I know?

FWIW, if it is legal, it is fine by me.  Go for it.

RayG

Edited by birddogger

1 hour ago, buckhound said:

lol yeah i always kinda laugh when people call baiting a  lazy  way to hunt  :shakehead:  my back and legs don't feel lazy same goes for driving when i did it years ago i would lose 15 pounds or more that week, we did drives that are a mile long or more through briars that are 10 ft high and water up to your knees.... you get out of hunting what you put into it wichever way you choose to hunt it always takes a level of skill and work...as for baiting it doesnt matter either way but it helps when deer are laying close to houses and feeding in yards if you can draw the hot doe out into legal hunting areas bucks will follow...this year i hunted my dads standfrom muzzy on that neither my brothers or i have hunted since he passed a few years ago all summer we watched about 40 bucks of all sizes in a field not far away after looking around it was evident the bucks where traveling close to the road coming from a swamp/briar hole so after putting some bait and a couple sits I found that some of them are coming from across the street and laying on private property and feeding at the field traveling about 400 yards.I parked in a friends yard when hunting early on they would talk about seeing deer cross on the side of the house about 100 yards from the field after putting some sugar beets and carrots out they switched and crossed on the other side of the house and down the road by the bait.

I don't think by saying lazy anyone is implying that baiting requires less back breaking work. It is about taking the simple route of dumping the corn on the ground and waiting for deer to show instead of putting in the time to learn when and where they are.  

Just now, Lunatic said:

I don't think by saying lazy anyone is implying that baiting requires less back breaking work. It is about taking the simple route of dumping the corn on the ground and waiting for deer to show instead of putting in the time to learn when and where they are.  

if anyone thinks that dumping bait on the ground is all that goes into it well they probably  are not all that good a hunter themselves. I have seen hunters do that but never seen them drag anything out.

22 minutes ago, buckhound said:

if anyone thinks that dumping bait on the ground is all that goes into it well they probably  are not all that good a hunter themselves. I have seen hunters do that but never seen them drag anything out.

I just gave you an explanation of why people call it lazy.
As for me I don't bait and I drag a few every year:happywave:(I also, as I stated before, don't have a problem with baiting)

4 hours ago, Woodsman416 said:

Are you saying that you bait the deer so that no one else can kill them?

yep.  No different from clubs putting out 5-10 moultrie feeders to keep them off the boardering clubs