IGNORED

House well water maintenance

BowhunterNJ

For those of you who have well water, what services do you do and how often?

Mine is pretty deep, around 380+ ft and the water is excellent.  Runs through a softener which I keep filled with salt crystals, and check it runs regularly.  Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything as it's the first time I've been on well water.

Normally you wait until the pump craps out during a holiday weekend. Spend hours on the phone finding someone to fix it. Only to end up paying four times the usually amount to get it fixed.  Added points if you have a house full of out of town quest.   Other than that I have nothing.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

8 minutes ago, CJ3a said:

Normally you wait until the pump craps out during a holiday weekend. Spend hours on the phone finding someone to fix it. Only to end up paying four times the usually amount to get it fixed.  Added points if you have a house full of out of town quest.   Other than that I have nothing.

Haha, OK, I've already been there!  Went 2 or 3 days without water...that SUCKED!  Had to get the well company who did the work to come out, pull the well pump/wire/piping, fix a burned out wire attached to the pump and then put it back down with a few tablets of chlorine.  Don't really want to go through that again but I'm sure if I do, it'll be during a giant family BBQ!

9 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Nothing more to do than add salt as needed and have the neutralite filter flushed and refilled as needed. Salt I always add myself and the other cartridge I have them change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea what that filter is, never changed mine.  How often do you have it done?  I'll look into that.

My buddy noticed his water smelling like oil. He moved in 2 years ago and had the water tested then.
Now he retests to find there is a high level of benzine(?) In the water. It's very dangerous to breathe and extremely flamable.

So now hes trying to figure out how to get it fixed without it costing him a fortune..
Alot of paperwork and he and his gf been showering at my house. They used the water for a month before finding out the results and now found out it was horrible to use.

Only thing I'm wondering is with all the rain did the water table rise into some spilled oil in the earth?idk. Doesnt make sense. One of his neighbors could have also dumped something..

I have an ultraviolet light on my system so I change the bulb annually. I fill the salt in the softener backwash tank. And when my acid nuetrilizer runs out I will replace that filter system.

My house is over filtered according to my well guy. Oh well. Rather not drink round up lol

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Once drilled there isnt much in terms of maintenance you need to do. However every few years 5-8 (well testes say every year but at $200-300 per test im not doing that) you should have the water retested. With new wells being drilled around you it can change your water quality and what once was clean water can be contaminated. Our houses well was drilled by the first owner in 1980's with a clean water test which they still had. When we bought the house NJ law required it to be retested and they said it was fine. It came back WAY over the recommended limits for Arsenic and Bacteria we now have a whole bunch of filters and UV lights to maintain yearly.  

1 hour ago, BowhunterNJ said:

For those of you who have well water, what services do you do and how often?

Mine is pretty deep, around 380+ ft and the water is excellent.  Runs through a softener which I keep filled with salt crystals, and check it runs regularly.  Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything as it's the first time I've been on well water.

A whole house filter is one item I did add and it has helped a lot.   Next item I may add is a charcoal filter.  I do a test every 5 years on contaminants and once a year on coliform.