IGNORED

Name your broadhead type

JHbowhunter

What TYPE of broadhead are you using for DEER?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the TYPE (not brand) of head you currently hunt DEER with

• 2 blade mechanical
    • 3 blade mechanical
    • 4 blade mechanical
    • Hybrid (fixed & mechanical)
    • 2 blade fixed (with or without bleeders, like magnus stinger, silver flame, etc)
    • 3 blade, COC fixed, self sharpen (like VPA, snuffer, montec)
    • 3 blade, COC fixed, replaceable blades (like G5 Striker)
    • 3 blade, chisel point, replaceable blades (like muzzy-3, thunderhead,etc)
    • 4 blade, COC fixed, replaceable blades (like vipertrick, magnus black hornet)
    • 4 blade, chisel point, replaceable blades (like slick trick, muzz-4)
    • Other (is there another besides "obsidian"?)

14 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

The one thing that stands out - is that the 2 blade mechanical is by far the single most popular "type" out of all the types I came up with. I think I thought of every possible type - I mean I could have further broken down 2 blade into single-bevel, non-bleeders, but I think the poll is effective as is.

So why did the two blade mechanical become over time - the most popular choice?

Heavy Rage and Shwacker advertising/marketing/product placement and endorsements on hunting shows?

Or - have they proven to be more effective for the average hunter than anything else they have tried?

I bet even 10 years ago - the 3 blade fixed would have been the winning category, when Thunderhead and Muzzy probably still dominated the market, but without question the mechanical heads were trending upward rapidly 10 years ago.

Is it that two inch+ blades just seem so damn appealing (like tossing an axe through the animal) - as opposed to the mechanical 3 blades that probably average around 1.5" cut diameter?

I look at it this way -

• 2" blades x 2 equals 4" of total cut, and it's a straight slice...     
  • 1.5" blades x 3 gives you 4.5" of total cut and it makes more of a "hole"
  • Take two milk jugs filled with water, shoot each mechanical through them near the bottom of jug, and watch the 3 blade drain it much faster.
  • with a 2 blade, there is no way to predict what orientation it will be on impact - if you are right on edge of vitals, and the BH hits vertically, you could get gut instead of lung, hit horizontally you will get half gut half double lung (2 inch cut of double lung is lethal)
  • With 3 blade, if you are on edge of vitals, you are nearly assured to catch those lungs as opposed to the 2 blade.
  • So why aren't the 3 and 4 blade mechanicals more popular than the 2 blade????

Ok so that is a question to debate. Not fixed vs Mech debate (in totality, they are about 50-50 split), not a Rage debate.     Why is the 2 blade mech more popular than the 3 blade mech

I would bet that most feel that they would fly the truest to a field tip. I'll continue w the Grim Reaper 3 blade until they give me a reason not to.

3 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

So why did the two blade mechanical become over time - the most popular choice?

1-Heavy Marketing.  It's the same reason people drink Bud/Miller/Coors/Heineken. 

2-Folks don't like to shoot a properly tuned bow or don't have any idea what that even means.  You could shoot just about anything out of a properly tuned bow without even having to make a single adjustment and if you do have to make a sight adjustment it's minuscule.  

Just now, not on the rug said:

1-Heavy Marketing.  It's the same reason people drink Bud/Miller/Coors/Heineken. 

2-Folks don't like to shoot a properly tuned bow or don't have any idea what that even means.  You could shoot just about anything out of a properly tuned bow without even having to make a single adjustment and if you do have to make a sight adjustment it's minuscule.  

I meant why 2 blades are more popular than 3 blade mechanicals.   Tuning not an issue there.   And I have seen enough videos to prove that a 3 blade drains a milk jug much faster than a 2 blade.   

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….