IGNORED

Permit season prep

Swamp_Yankee

I hunt my own property which is a small piece (2 acres) in the middle of two very large (100+ acres) farms.  My stand is in a swampy woodlot in the back of the property, so I need to give the deer a reason to come through:

Dollar store peanut butter feeder

KJvqieN.jpg

yNtz8nQ.jpg

btb1MYa.jpg

PVC corn feeder

NarxWGa.jpg

sOYu2Wz.jpg

sOYu2Wz.jpg

I caught the dollar store peanut butter idea on Youtube.  The PVC feeder is nothing special but at the very least it should keep me from feeding every tree rat and trash panda in the neighborhood.  I see a lot of guys putting them together with glue, but instead I used three drywall screws at each joint.  I figure why glue it if I don't need it to be water tight-the screws will allow me to take it apart if I ever need/want to.  I also used thinwall drainpipe instead of Schedule 40-a 10' length of pipe, wye, and two caps was only about $15.  I did a quick volume calculation and it should hold about 15lbs of corn (4' of pipe) which doesn't sound like a lot, but it should last a lot longer in the feeder.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

I never had any luck with the peanut butter jar screwed to a tree technique. The few times I tried it, I found the empty and broken plastic jars ripped off the tree.  Possibly raccoons or bears got to it first; not sure.  But, that was my experience. Hopefully, your luck will be better. 

5 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

Maybe think about putting in a small food plot next spring .  A nice clover plot would give the deer a reason to come . 

It's all swamp-I'm not sure I could get anything like that to grow.  All that seems to grow back there is gnarly oaks and cat briars.

1 hour ago, Merkel said:

I never had any luck with the peanut butter jar screwed to a tree technique. The few times I tried it, I found the empty and broken plastic jars ripped off the tree.  Possibly raccoons or bears got to it first; not sure.  But, that was my experience. Hopefully, your luck will be better. 

At the very least I'll have some interesting pictures-I have my camera trained on the bait tree :tooth:  Check out my custom camo paint job:

0ZNv5Kq.jpg

Edited by Swamp_Yankee

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

6 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

0ZNv5Kq.jpg

I make gravity feeders the same way. I ratchet strap them to a tree usung 3 straps so that the bear can’t get them off. A suggestion for ya is to use a tee wye at the top with a cleanout cap. Makes for easier loading of the feeder. Also drill holes in the bottom of the feeder so that water can drain out. 

Looks good! Just a heads up, I tried the peanut butter jar attached to a tree thing, and was shocked when it was wiped clean in 2 days. I put a camera on it hoping to see a shooter. 2 days later, the jar was again, licked clean as a whistle. Checked the card and could not believe there were that many raccoons alive, yet alone in my spot. Not one deer touched it. 

Never know, you may have totally different results. Worth a try.. 

6 hours ago, rocky said:

I made a pvc pipe feeder years ago and only filled it twice. The raccoons would throw all the corn on the ground and I said screw that. If anyone else has different results and like them chime in please if the OP doesn't mind.

I also gave up on the PVC feeder. Coons still get to it and I was shocked how fast the deer empty it out.

Good luck to the OP, hopefully it works for you.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸