IGNORED

Duke dp traps

Dogfood, marshmallow and a little maple syrup if rain is in forcast set a golf ball on top and drizzle syrup on it. The coon will nock it off no problem and keep most water out.  If you're not catching with dp's you not on sign, those things down right catch

Coons are curious animals.  Peak their curiosity, sight and smell.  I use gummy candy or corn in the traps and throw some small marshmallows or corn around the trap for visual attraction.  Put a drop or two of anise oil in the trap, a little goes a long way with the oil.  The Gummy candy lasts a while even through rain.  Every once in a while or after rain just add a drop of oil to the traps.  As stated if you're not catching in an area you're in the wrong spot.  Redneck Pride makes great coon bait for DP's.  You could always find someone's corn pile and set there :rofl:     

Cat food with a fish oil trail or mini marshmallows and pancake syrup with the fish oil trail. They need to smell it to find it. Don't gum up your traps with putting  sticky liquids inside them, Dry cat food and fish oil trail to it

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

DP traps are all about location. Doesn’t matter what you use if you’re not directly putting it in the trail they’re gonna bypass it. I keep it cheap with dog food and a bit of fish oil around the trap. Don’t put fish oil inside the trap on the bait. In my experience they don’t like the taste of it but the smell gets their attention. 

One thing to mention: temperature affects movement. In my experience if the night time temperature is under 30 degrees they don’t move. You could have the perfect sets but if they’re not moving you’re not catching. My best night trapping (catch percentage not catch numbers) was a night last December where the night temp spiked from 20s to 40s one day  during the week. Set out a few DPs that I could check before work the next morning. 9/12 traps had coons.

Also this time of year the coons are rutting. Their interest isn’t in food so much anymore. Might be a reason your snares are out producing your DPs 

All good points.  My trail cams are all being used elsewhere at the moment but I plan on setting them up to see what kind of activity I have. One note last week I pulled a dp and relocated it. I set a snare where it previously set and next day had a coon! It was on a trail leading to creek.  Do foxes show interest in the DP sets?